Cottage Cheese Smoothie Recipe
Cottage Cheese Smoothie Recipe – bright and colorful, creamy and delicious protein packed blueberry smoothie. Made with almond milk, banana, cottage cheese, hemp hearts, rolled oats and sweetener (optional). Great for a late breakfast, a snack or healthy dessert. 11 grams of protein per serving.
Do you like cottage cheese? This is an ingredient that has gained a lot of popularity lately. It is versatile and
What is cottage cheese?
Cottage cheese is a curdled milk product with a mild flavor and a creamy, heterogenous, slightly soupy texture. It is made from skimmed milk by draining curds but retaining some of the whey and keeping the curds loose.
It is also called called Dutch cheese, or schmierkase.
If you have no issues consuming dairy products and cheese, you may consider cottage cheese.
Cottage cheese is low in calories and high in protein, selenium, calcium, B vitamins and phosphorus.
Because of its light and creamy consistency, cottage cheese can be used instead of ricotta or cream cheese in pasta recipes, dips, casseroles, pancakes and desserts.
Serve with fresh fruit, avocados, use in salads, as a side for breakfast or in smoothies like this one.
How to make cottage cheese smoothie?
This creamy, bright, colorful and nourishing smoothie is very easy to make.
You can add or omit ingredients of your choice.
Made with nut milk (dairy milk can be used, but I don’t like it in smoothies), banana (could be frozen), frozen blueberries, rolled oats, vanilla extract (optional), hemp hearts (for extra protein) and sweetener like maple syrup or agave nectar.
Place ingredients in a powerful blender (I love my Nutribullet!) or food processor and blend until smooth. Serve immediatelly.
Cottage Cheese In Europe:
Cottage cheese is quite popular in the USA, but years ago, I used to have issues finding it (or its eqiuvalent) in Europe.
Now I can find cottage cheese from brands like Danone or Olympus. There are some different varieties, with different names that look and taste like cottage cheese in France, Hungary, Germany and the UK.
If you can’t find real cottage cheese in Europe, you can use certain varieties of Quark and Farmers cheese, but keep in mind that they are not exactly the same thing, but look and taste pretty similar.
Is cottage cheese healthy ?
It could be a part of healthy diet, since it is low in calories and high in protein.
If you have lactose intolerance, look for lactose-free options on the market.
Some brands have recently come up with dairy-free cottage cheese, made from soy (tofu, miso and other ingredients). And yes, it can be used in this smoothie recipe.
- You can use fresh or frozen fruits. I like to use frozen blueberries and bananas in the summer.
- Add other fruits of your choice – cottage cheese goes well with about any fruit. Good options are peaches, mango, strawberries and pineapple. Consider this a basic smoothie recipe, remove the blueberries and add other fruits. Keep the bananas, since they make this smoothie creamy and nutritious.
- Other add ons: Chia seeds – I prefer adding these once the smoothie is blender, so it gets extra crunchy, Cocoa Powder – for a chocolate smoothie, Chocolate chips, Flax meal – for extra fiber, Spinach – for fiber and iron, protein powder – to make this a healthy protein “bomb”.
- Toppings and garnishing options: Fresh mint, hemp hearts, oats, shredded coconut, chopped nuts and blueberries.
- If you don’t like or have any milk, the drink can be made with either coconut water or filtered water. The cottage cheese brings enough flavor and creaminess.
More Smoothie Recipes:
Cottage cheese smoothie
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 small banana
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 tbsp rolled oats
- 1 tbsp Hemp hearts
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.