Homemade Custard Recipe (Pastry Cream)
Today I have for you a homemade vanilla custard recipe, which can be used for a pastry cream or enjoyed on its own.
Custard is a variety of culinary preparations, based on cooked mixture of milk (cream) and egg yolk. Most popular custards are used as desserts or dessert sauces and include sugar and vanilla.
Custard is usually cooked in a double boiler or gently heated in a pan on a stove.
- 4 large egg yolks
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp flour (can use cornflour)
- 8 oz soft butter
- In a large pot pour milk and half of the sugar and bring to just below boil. Reduce heat to medium.
- Meanwhile in a bowl whisk egg yolks with the remaining sugar, flour and vanilla. Add 1 cup from the warm milk and carefully mix, then add mixture to the remaining warm milk and heat gently (on low heat), stirring with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring until custard thickens, or for at least 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat and add butter, which will thicken the custard even more, after it cools down. Stir again and remove from heat. You can strain custard to get rid of any lumps.
- Serve warm, at room temperature or cold.