How to Make Greek Salad Recipe
How to Make Greek Salad Recipe – packed with fresh (pink) tomatoes, crunchy cucumbers, peppers, red onions and creamy Feta cheese. Add some olives and drizzle homemade Greek Salad Dressing.
This salad is perfect for lunch or a light meal.
Serve as a side salad, together with any other meal.
This is my spin on how to make Greek Salad.
I’ve always loved tomato cucumber salad. Since I’m spending most of my time in Europe (Bulgaria, close to Greece), I happen to go to Greece often.
An do you know what one of my favorite things there is ? You guessed it – Greek Salad. And the second favorite is Grilled Octopus.
Not to mention I make this salad at least twice a week anyways.
How to Make Greek Salad Recipe at home?
- Tomatoes – any tomatoes will work. From Roma to cherry tomatoes, use what you have. But for best results I recommend using either Pink or Heirloom tomatoes. You know they have the best flavor.
- Cucumbers – either Persian, English or regular American cucumbers will work.
- Peppers – I used red and green bell peppers for aesthetic reasons.
- Onions – red or yellow onions. I like to slice them and place them in cold water. Soaking onions in cold water helps remove some of the pungency and soften the flavor.
- Cow’s or Sheep’s milk Feta cheese
- Olives – I like Kalamata olives and these are the ones, that this salad is usually made with.
- Optional: Add some oregano or parsley on top for garnishing
This salad is made with a type of vinaigrette. You can either mix the dressing ingredients in a jar and shake until smooth, or pour them on top of the salad and stir to combine.
You will not go wrong, if you mix together just some olive oil, lemon juice, salt and vinegar for the dressing. But if you’d like to make it more flavorful, follow the recipe below.
garlic clove or garlic powder (I’ve recently started using garlic powder in dressings, because the flavor is mild and not overpowering).
extra virgin olive oil (If you happen to have Greek olive oil, it is great for dressings)
apple cider vinegar
red pepper flakes, optional
Dijon mustard, optional
Pinch of black pepper (optional)
Directions to make Greek Salad (no lettuce):
- Mix up the dressing ingredients in a jar.
- Wash and slice the veggies. (You may peel the tomatoes, if necessary).
- Cut the Feta cheese.
- Place vegetables in a bowl.
- Add the Feta and olives.
- Drizzle with the dressing.
- Serve or refrigerate for up to 2 days. You can store the salad with the dressing on, but keep in mind that veggies will release more liquid and become soggy.
Greek Salad Dressing:
This salad dressing has a fresh and zingy flavor and can be used on other salads, too.
Perfect to drizzle over other veggies, like grilled zucchini, asparagus or potatoes.
A vinaigrette made with olive oil, lemon juice, sweetener, vinegar and some Greek inspired seasoning, that has a bright and fresh flavors and can be kept in the fridge for up to 5 days. Perfect for seafood and marinating meat.
Greek Salad Recipe Tips/Variations:
- Use the best seasonal vegetables possible. Don’t cut them in advance, because they may become soggy and (or) dry.
- The first question that often comas to mind is – can you add chopped lettuce to the salad?
- Add ins – Capers, chickpeas, fresh herbs
- Can you make Greek Salad in advance?
- Pasta Salad
- Meal Prep – make lunch bowls by adding quinoa or beans. You can also add some meat, like Grilled chicken breast or these Grilled Pesto Chicken Kebabs.
What to serve with?
Serve with fish, seafood, chicken, steak of grilled/roasted veggies.
Here are some recipe options:
- Easy Grilled Mahi Mahi
- Grilled Octopus Recipe
- Air Fryer Steak Bites Recipe
- Crispy Air Fryer Small Potatoes
- Fagri Fish Recipe
More Salad Recipes:
How To Make Greek Salad Recipe
- 1 garlic clove — minced (optional)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes — optional
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard — optional
- 1 tsp honey — optional
- Pinch of black pepper
- 2 cups Tomatoes — or 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 large Cucumber
- 1/2 Red onion
- 2/3 cup Olives
- 1 red and 1 green peppers — chopped
- 1 cup Feta Cheese cubes — 5 oz
Place all ingredients in a jar and close the lid.
Shake 5-6 times, them pour on top of the salad.
For the salad:
Combine the cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, peppers and feta cheese in a bowl.
Pour the dressing on top.
(Optional: Add 2 cups of chopped lettuce to the salad)