Baked Feta Pasta With Cherry Tomatoes (Tik Tok Recipe)
This Baked Feta Pasta With Cherry Tomatoes is a Tik Tok, viral recipe that is worth trying. Made in the oven in a baking dish, by roasting a block of feta cheese with tomatoes, olive oil, garlic and seasoning to create a creamy, tangy and savory pasta sauce. Then add your favorite pasta (cooked) and you have a simple and delicious weeknight meal. Perfect for lunch and kid friendly.
Are you on Tik Tok? Do you follow the food trends there? While this is not a new recipe on the platform, I have waited a very long time to try it and I wish I made it sooner. It is so good!
Baked Feta Pasta With Cherry Tomatoes
When it comes to pasta, I usually either make my favorite 20 Minute Pasta Carbonara or One Pot Creamy Tomato Spinach Chicken Pasta. Simple, straightforward recipes that result in delicious dishes. But Feta pasta?
Coming from Bulgaria, close to Greece, where Feta cheese is a staple in the National cuisine, I had to try this recipe.
I hope Italians don’t make a big deal out of this version.
What most people don’t tell you is that the Original Creator of this Baked Feta Pasta is a Finnish blogger – Liemessa.
Original Feta Baked Pasta recipe: https://liemessa.fi/2019/02/uunifetapasta/.
She simply bakes a block of feta with tomatoes to create a salty, tangy and flavorful sauce, that is combined with al dente pasta, spices and fresh basil.
The pasta is customizable, feel free to add extra spices, use more tomatoes to produce extra sauce and use your favorite type of pasta – from Spaghetti to Fusilli or Farfalle.
Kids like this pasta, since it reminds them of the taste of my homemade tomato red pepper spread – Lutenitsa, paired with Feta.
The basic ingredients are : Feta, Cherry tomatoes, good quality olive oil, fresh basil, oregano (optional), garlic, salt, pepper and hot pepper flakes.
What type of feta to use?
This is an important question, since the quality of the feta cheese used, is important for the final result – the creaminess and taste of the sauce and the whole dish.
Block is usually better quality than crumbled feta, but if crumbled is all you have, you can use it.
I either use Bulgarian or Greek feta (sheep’s or cow’s milk, not goat’s milk), since I like the flavor, saltiness, tanginess and texture.
French feta cheese (Sheep’s milk) is usually milder, creamier and more pricey.
Any tomatoes will work, but cherry are my choice. Thin skins, tartness and wonderful flavor. Grape tomatoes are another great choice.
Almost any pasta works here. I prefer small shaped pasta like penne or rigatoni.
This is the original baked feta pasta with tomatoes recipe, but feel free to add more ingredients to customize the dish.
- Protein: Chicken breast, that could be baked with the tomatoes and feta will create a wonderful meal.
- Veggies : Adding spinach, capers or olives will bring different flavors. You can also add zucchini, broccoli and mushrooms and roast them together with the tomatoes or cook separately.
- Cheese: Even though, there is a lot of Feta cheese in the sauce, you can top the pasta with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Sauce: To thin the sauce, you can either use pasta water or dry white wine. They both work.
- Herbs: Dried oregano or thyme could be added to the pasta. Fresh herbs like chives or Italian parsley can be used for garnishing.
- Pasta: Whole wheat, gluten-free or low-carb pastas could be used, depending on your preferences. The shape of the pasta – while spaghetti or linguine could work with this sauce, I think that it is more appropriate to use small pasta varieties like Penne or Orrecchiette, since the sauce is chunky and it is easier to eat with bite sized pasta.
- Not a fan of pasta? No problem! The sauce is so good, I can eat it by the spoon full. Serve with warm crusty bread, zucchini noodles, rice or beans.
More Feta cheese recipes:
Looking for more pasta recipes?
Baked Feta Pasta
- 8 oz feta cheese — block
- 4 cups cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 2-3 tbsp chopped fresh basil
- 8 oz pasta of your choice
Preheat oven to 425 F.
Add tomatoes to a baking dish and place the feta cheese in the middle. Add the garlic.
Drizzle with olive oil, make sure the feta is coated in oil. Add hot pepper flakes, dried basil and oregano.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the feta is golden brown.
While the feta and tomatoes are baking, boil the pasta. Reserve about 1/3 cup of pasta water.
Stir the tomatoes and feta together. Add some pasta waterloo thin the sauce.
Stir in the pasta.
Add fresh basil.