This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The Best Beef And Broccoli Recipe (Multi Cooker Option) – easy to make with just a few simple ingredients, loaded with authentic flavors. Great for a quick lunch or dinner. Cleaner, homemade, better than takeout. Sugar-free sauce option included. Ready in 20 minutes.
I received the device mentioned below in exchange for my honest opinion.
I love Asian food, but I very rarely get takeout for myself. When I have the time, I like to make simple Asian dishes for my family at home.
Beef and broccoli is always a great choice, because my family loves this dish. It also, unlike other Asian meals, requires a short and simple ingredients list.
Simple and inexpensive meal, made with homemade Asian sauce, steak and broccoli.
What sauce is used to make Beef and Broccoli?
The sauce is pretty simple to make. I also made it sugar-free, by using Swerve, low-carb brown ” sugar “, instead of regular brown sugar. Different cooks make this sauce in different ways. My recipe is not authentic by any means.
Ingredients you have to use for the Best Beef and broccoli sauce:
- soy sauce
- vegetable oil
- light brown sugar or sugar-free alternative
- fresh garlic
- fresh ginger
- Chicken stock, optional
- Hoisin sauce (optional), but adds flavor
How do you make Chinese Beef and Broccoli recipe?
Cut broccoli into florets. Set aside. Blanch if you’d like to take this extra step.
Slice the flank steak thinly across the grain.
Mix together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water.
Toss steak in cornstarch and water mixture.
Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet (wok could be used). See recipe notes if you are using a Fusion cooker like the one I have.
Add steak and cook for 5-6 minutes (or more), until the beef is cooked through.
In a bowl, whisk together cornstarch, sweetener, oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, Hoisin sauce and chicken stock.
Remove from the pan. Add the sauce. Bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the broccoli. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the beef. Stir to coat with the sauce, cook for 1 minute.
Serve over rice or low-carb alternative.
Should you blanch Broccoli for Beef and Broccoli Recipe?
Here is an extra tip, if you’d like to have your broccoli bright green and extra crisp in this dish- blanch the broccoli, before you add to the dish.
This extra step prevents the broccoli from turning brown on the outside, while staying raw on the inside. It produced crisp, tender and fresh looking broccoli.
To blanch broccoli for the recipe – fill a large pot of water and add some salt. bring to a boil. Add broccoli. Boil for 2-3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl filled with ice cold water. Let it sit for 5 minutes, then drain. Add to the sauce and cook for 2-3 minutes.
I did not take the extra step to blanch the broccoli this time and it still tasted delicious.
What meat is used to make Beef and Broccoli?
I always use flank steak. It is meaty and takes flavors very well.
Flank or sirloin steak works best. Make sure the beef is sliced thinly across the grain. This way the meat stays super tender and absorbs as much sauce and it could.
Beef tenderloin, sliced thinly could be used in this recipe.
You don’t need to use an expensive cut of beef for this Best Beef And Broccoli Recipe.
Can you make Beef and Broccoli in a Slow Cooker, Instant Pot or Fusion Cooker?
Yes, absolutely. This easy beef and broccoli recipe can be adapted to be cooked in an instant pot, slow cooker and even Fusion Cooker.
Introducing to you the newest appliance I added to my kitchen.
My all new Tatung Fusion Cooker TSB-3016EA. I received the device in exchange for my honest opinion..
- Award-winning design (Japan Good Design Award, Taiwan Excellence Silver Award, China Red Star Design Award, Germany iF Design Award) which would look great on your kitchen countertop.
Non-Stick (Teflon) Grill Pan. You can steam and grill to perfection.
Non-Stick (Teflon) Waterless Pot. Cook your food without using “Water”. Natural juices of the food are used when cooking with a waterless pot.
I cooked the pieces of beef in the Grill Pan. Removed the meat and transfered to a plate. Then added the sauce and broccoli and cooked for 2 minutes.
Since this amazing appliance has both a Grill Pan and a Waterless pot, you can always cook the broccoli in the waterless pot and then combine this the sauce and the meat. I did not feel the need to do so. The broccoli needs to be lightly cooked and when cooked with the sauce in the grill pan it works perfect.
I really like the simplicity of use and the quality if the product. It is easy to use and clean.
Difference between Beef and Broccoli and Mongolian Beef
The sauce used in both dished is different. Mongolian beef is made with spicier sauce. It also does not have broccoli in it, but a lot of green onions are added. You can also add green onions to beef and broccoli, if you’d like, even though the recipe doesn’t call for it.
How to store cooked Chinese Beef and broccoli?
In my opinion, Beef and Broccoli tastes best freshly made and warm. You can always reheat it on the stove top or in the microwave for a few minutes.
Keep in the fridge in an air tight container for 2 days.
More Asian Recipes:
The Best Beef And Broccoli Recipe
- 1 lb flank steak
- 3 cups broccoli
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 cup soy sauce, I used low-sodium
- 3 tbsp brown sugar, I used low-carb sweetener, Swerve brown
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 2 cloves grated garlic (fresh)
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce (optional)
- 1/4 cup chicken stock (optional), or water
- Cut broccoli into florets. Set aside. Blanch if you'd like to take this extra step.
- To blanch the broccoli - fill a pot with water. Add 1 tsb salt. Bring to a boil. Add broccoli and cook for 3 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl filled with ice cold water. Drain after 5 minutes.
- In the mean time: Slice the flank steak thinly across the grain.Mix together 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and 2 tablespoons of cold water.Toss steak in cornstarch and water mixture.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large skillet (wok could be used). See recipe notes if you are using a Fusion cooker like the one I have.
- Add steak and cook for 5-6 minutes (or more), until the beef is cooked through.In a bowl, whisk together cornstarch, sweetener, oil, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, Hoisin sauce and chicken stock.
- Remove from the pan. Add the sauce. Bring to a boil, cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Add the broccoli. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the beef. Stir to coat with the sauce, cook for 1 minute.
- Serve over rice or low-carb alternative.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.