Easy Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipe
Easy Sweet And Sour Chicken Recipe. Non-breaded pieces of tender chicken breast, coated in four ingredient sweet and sour sauce with sauteed mushrooms and peppers and served with broccoli and rice.
This easy sweet and sour chicken recipe. It is so easy to make and tastes delicious! The sauce has the perfect sweetness and consistency.
Happy Friday guys! It feels pretty cold and windy around here and it is the perfect time to share this family favorite recipe with you. I wanted to keep things nice and short today because I had a tiny accident yesterday. But I’ll quickly tell you what happened.
Yeah, it is nothing serious, but I’m in pain and can hardly use my left hand. Which means typing this post is difficult and causes discomfort.
I will be taking a break for 2-3 days because it is difficult to cook, clean up and wash dishes (place them in the dishwasher) with just my right hand.
What happened? My dog was chewing on a piece of paper towel and I got scared of him choking on it. I tried pull it out. Then he bit my left hand. He has a strong bite. I started screaming, he opened his mouth, but it was too late.
To be more specific – the index middle and ring fingers were injured. The fingernail on my ring finger is almost gone. I was in terrible pain and could not stop the blood. Of course I was home alone and it was around rush hour (5 pm). I went to Emergency Care by myself. I did not need stitches, but they cleaned the wounds and now I’m trying to keep them clean and take it easy.
I was never bitten by a dog and never had a displaced fingernail, but there is always a first time, right?
But, this is not an authentic recipe. I’m not an expert in Asian cooking and usually don’t have the ingredients for an authentic recipe in my fridge and pantry.
This has been a family favorite recipe for years. I just changed it a little by adding sauteed mushrooms and peppers to the dish.
I also like to skip the breading part. Of course chicken tastes a little better when breaded, but it adds extra calories and cooking time. If you use good quality fresh organic chicken, it will taste great even if not breaded.
One more time, I would like to mention that this is not an authentic recipe. This is just the way I make it and my family likes it!
Have a great weekend and Happy Halloween!
I won’t be cooking this weekend 🙂 We have a surprise birthday party for a friend, but there will be mostly appetizers, which anyone could make.
The recipe makes enough sauce for 2 pounds of chicken. I usually use 1 to 1 1/2 pounds of chicken and this way the dish has extra sauce.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil or more to saute the chicken , mushrooms and peppers
- 6 oz mushrooms of your choice , sliced
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper , sliced into strips
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder or 1 garlic clove , minced
- white rice for serving
- steamed broccoli for serving
- In a bowl combine ketchup, apple cider vinegar, sugar, soy sauce and garlic. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Cut chicken into bite size pieces and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil and cook chicken until no longer pink (30 seconds per side). Pour sauce over chicken and cook for 10 more minutes, stirring frequently until sauce has thickened.
- In the mean time saute mushrooms in 1 tbsp vegetable oil, until liquid has almost evaporated. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan cook peppers in 1 tbsp vegetable oil until lightly browned.
- Cook rice (of your choice as much as you'd like). Steam 2 cups of broccoli.
- Add sauteed mushrooms and peppers to the chicken and sauce. Top with toasted sesame seeds. Serve chicken with rice and broccoli. Garnish with green onions.