Easy Oven Fries Recipe
Easy Oven Fries Recipe – perfectly seasoned french fries, baked in the oven, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside.
When I was a child, when someone asked me what my favorite dish was, I would always say “french fries”.
But I don’t even remember the last time I fried potatoes.
For a long time, I’ve been making these oven fries and everyone around me loves them.
Pair them with your favorite dipping sauce and this is all you need!
What ingredients do you need to crispy make oven fries?
- potatoes (Yukon Gold or any potatoes with medium starch content will work)
- olive oil
- onion powder
- garlic powder
Tips to make these healthier french fries in the oven (oven fries):
There are a some things that are important when baking fries in the oven and I’m more than happy to share them with you.
- Cut your potatoes into 1/4 inch (or maple slightly smaller) matchsticks.
- Try making each matchstick the same size as the others, so they bake evenly.
- Use starchy potatoes, peel and cut them, then soak in cold water for 15-30 minutes.
- Rinse and drain.
- This step is very important : after rinsing and draining the potatoes, par dry each one of them with paper towels.
- Drying the potatoes, helps the seasoning stick to the outside of the fries and this way they bake to a perfect crunchy outside and softer inside.
The best part about this easy oven fries recipe is that these potatoes taste just as good when cold.
Also I love that they are not soaked in oil, but they are still crispy.
I only used 3 tbsp of oil in the recipe.
If your family is bigger or you are cooking for a crowd, make sure you double, triple or quadruple the recipe.
There won’t be any leftovers, I can guarantee.
How to season fries for the oven?
For the seasoning of these easy oven fries, I used salt, black pepper, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and paprika.
The combination of ingredients is just perfect.
If the seasoning doesn’t sound right to you, you can definitely just use salt.
For two large Russet potatoes (baking potatoes) I use 1/2 tbsp salt.
If you don’t like too much salt in your fries, feel free to use less salt.
This easy oven fries recipe is perfect for the times, when you crave french fries, but want to skip the extra trans fat from frying and the big mess afterwards.
Did I mention I don’t have a fryer?
Nor even an air fryer.
What are the best potatoes to make this oven fries recipe?
So best potatoes for oven fries are these with a medium starch content . Therefore Yukon Gold Potatoes make the perfect kind for oven fries. This way when you soak them in cold water they release some of the starch and can bake with a crispy skin, but the onside of the fries will be soft and fluffy.
Russet (higher in starch) and yellow Finn will also work in this recipe.
What to serve these quick oven fries with?
EASY OVEN FRIES RECIPE
- 2 large Russet potatoes — (baking potatoes), peeled, ends trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch matchsticks
- 1/2 tbsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika — (or less to taste)
- 3 tbsp olive — , avocado or vegetable oil
- Fill a large bowl with cold water and place potatoes in it. Let them soak for 15-30 minutes at room temperature.
- Rinse and drain, place potatoes on a plate liked with paper towels and dry them well.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place potatoes in a clean and dry bowl. In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the seasoning. Sprinkle over potatoes, make sure they are coated in seasoning evenly. Drizzle with oil.
Transfer potatoes on the baking sheet, leaving some space between each one.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Then carefully flip fries, (using a metal turner works best). Bake for 15-20 more minutes until golden and crispy one the outside and tender on the inside. Let them cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to a plate and serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 191, Fat: 2g, Sodium: 1942mg, Potassium: 914mg, Carbohydrates: 40g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 1g, Protein: 4g, Vitamin A: 615%, Vitamin C: 12.1%, Calcium: 34%, Iron: 2.1%