Creamy Tomato Chickpea Soup
Creamy Tomato Chickpea Soup, comforting, fast and very easy to make with ingredients you most likely have in your pantry.
I’ve been making a lot of easy soups lately, not even a slow cooker required and most of them are ready in less than an hour.
But did I ever mention that tomato soup is my all time favorite? I make tomato basil soup all the time, but recently decided to try something different, like adding chickpeas to it. This helped to make the soup creamy, thick and extra delicious!
I’m all about eating seasonal and healthy food, but at this time of the year, I think it is the perfect tim to cheat and make a soup using canned tomatoes and chickpeas. Of course I don’t do it all the time, but tomatoes are not in season right now and I made sure I did not sacrifice this soup’s flavor! I also added some coconut milk for creamier texture. The extra dose of protein from the chickpeas is always appreciated.
I can’t be happier because of the fact that my husband doesn’t like tomato soup! Yay! I usually double this recipe, just to have enough for myself.
Make some grilled cheese and enjoy a bowl of this light and flavorful soup.
Thanks for reading Cooking LSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
Creamy Tomato Chickpea Soup
FOR THE SOUP:
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion — , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves — , minced
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry basil
- 1/4 tsp dry thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 - 14 oz (200 grams) can tomatoes, not drained
- 1 cup canned chickpeas — (about 1/2 14 oz can)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (vegetable or vegan) stock
- 1/2 cup coconut milk — (dairy milk/cream is fine)
FOR GARNISHING (OPTINONAL):
- red pepper flakes
- olive oil for drizzling
- fresh basil
- In a medium pot heat olive oil over medium heat. Cook onions for 1 minute and then add garlic. Cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add paprika, basil, thyme, salt, pepper and sugar. Add balsamic vinegar and stir.
- Add in tomatoes and chickpeas. Stir, then add water and stock.
- Simmer soup for 20-30 minutes. Then let it cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Then transfer back to the pot and stir in milk/cream. Cook on medium low for 2-3 more minutes.
- Adjust the flavor, add more salt or pepper.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes, olive oil or basil (optional).
- Serve warm.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 139, Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 5g, Sodium: 648mg, Potassium: 154mg, Carbohydrates: 10g, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 2g, Vitamin A: 8.2%, Vitamin C: 2.1%, Calcium: 2.5%, Iron: 8.7%
More Easy To Make Soups: