Roasted Garlic And Mushroom Quinoa Soup
Roasted Garlic And Mushroom Quinoa Soup – chunky quinoa, meaty mushrooms and mouthwatering roasted garlic aroma. This soup is light, clean, great for a low calorie diet and very easy to make.
Some of my closest blogger friends and I are hosting a huge $700 Pay Your Holiday Bills Worldwide Giveaway. It ends at 23:59 pm EST on January 19th. Click on the link or graphic above the recipe to enter. I would be very happy if one of my readers is the winner! Good luck!!!
If I have to be honest and I do! I did not make this soup… My husband did. But I watched him closely, so I can share it with you. And of course I took the pictures and did the dishes.
It had been on my books for a while, to make soup with quinoa, but I never got to do it. This roasted garlic and mushroom quinoa soup is light, flavorful and delicious.
It is not a secret to anyone who knows me – I love quinoa and enjoy experimenting with it in new recipes. This ancient grain has been getting more and more popular lately. It has been appearing on restaurant menus, grocery stores and cook books.
Quinoa is loaded with protein and fiber. Low in saturated fat, gluten free and easy o digest, it is great for a clean diet. It is not a grain, but it is extremely nutritionally rich.
Quinoa has a subtle flavor and white mushrooms don’t have a ton of flavor either, so adding roasted garlic to this soup groks great to balance the flavors. Garlic could be roasted in advance, since this takes about 30-35 minutes. Keep in mind it will fill your house with a maddening smell. I’ve also heard that roasted garlic is easily digestible, which is a good thing.
I know some people out there don’t like mushrooms, but they are one of those veggies I simply adore and buy all the time. They add meatiness to vegetarian dishes like this mushroom quinoa soup and soak up a lot of flavor.
Although I like my soups on the thick side, my husband doesn’t. He likes a lot of liquid in his soup, so feel free to reduce the amount of liquid or add 1/4 cup of uncooked quinoa to thicken the soup.
We added some grated Parmesan cheese on top of the soup, but crumbled feta, dollop of sour cream or bacon will make tasty toppings.
This soup is gluten free and if you use vegan broth and skip the parmesan topping, it will turn into a delicious vegan meal.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar).
Roasted Garlic And Mushroom Quinoa Soup
For the roasted garlic:
- 1 head of garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
For the Soup:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 1 lb white or cremini mushrooms — , chopped
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth — (We used this one)
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 tbsp roasted garlic
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- grated parmesan cheese for garnishing
- chopped fresh dill for garnishing
- ROASTED GARLIC:
- Preheat oven to 400F (205 C). Take a head of garlic and slice 1/2 inch (1.5 cm) of the top. Place garlic head in the center of a piece of foil and pour 2 tbsp olive oil on top. Wrap in foil and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until soft. Cloves should easily come out from the skins.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onions and cook covered for 5-6 minutes, until translucent. (If pan gets too dry, add a tbsp of water or olive oil).
- Add mushrooms and cook covered for 5-6 minutes.
- Add stock, water, quinoa, roasted garlic, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Cook for at least 15 minutes, until quinoa is tender. (Cook for a few more minutes if you'd like the soup thicker, but no more that 5 minutes).
- Adjust seasoning, garnish with chopped dill and grated Parmesan cheese.
Feel free to add more quinoa or reduce the amount of liquid, if you'd like a thicker soup.
Skip the Parmesan cheese and use vegan broth to turn this into a vegan soup.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 222, Fat: 11g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 1308mg, Potassium: 736mg, Carbohydrates: 24g, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 8g, Vitamin C: 28.7%, Calcium: 5.5%, Iron: 13.9%
More Quinoa Recipes