Quinoa Chicken Skillet
Quinoa Chicken Skillet – easy weeknight dinner, made with five ingredients, nutritious and packed with protein.
Quinoa Chicken Skillet:
This easy quinoa chicken skillet meal is perfect for a quick and healthy dinner.
It has been a while since last time I shared a quinoa recipe. The truth is that I haven’t been craving quinoa and I have been avoiding a lot of carbs. My son also hasn’t been very keen on quinoa, but I decided to offer it again and this time he loved it.
This Quinoa Chicken Skillet recipe was originally shared on Aug 21, 2014. I decided to update the photos and share it with you again.
It is quick and simple to make, picked with veggies and chicken, easy to make and great for meal prep. This Quinoa Chicken Skillet also makes the perfect packed lunch.
If you are not a fan of yellow squash, you can substitute it with zucchini.
Sauté some chicken breast and leftover vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini and squash and you have a nutritious meal. Quinoa is superfood, high in protein and can be easily incorporated into your diet.
Eating lean meats like (good quality) chicken breast is essential for good health because of their low fat. Veggies are always good for you and you can use whatever vegetables you’d like or have. I used portobello mushrooms, zucchini and squash, all of which are low in calories and rich in water.
I cooked chicken pieces in a skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.Then added and sauteed mushrooms, until water released almost disappeared and after that I added zucchini and squash and cooked for 3 more minutes.
Next I added uncooked quinoa, chicken stock, herbs and brought to a boil. Covered and lowered heat to medium low and cooked for 15-20 minutes until everything was cooked. Drizzled some lemon juice and topped with chopped fresh parsley. This dish is light and fragrant, perfect for the summer.
More Quinoa Recipes:
- If you are obsessed with quinoa, this recipe collection Best Healthy Quinoa Recipes from Foolproof Living, that includes salads, bowls and other creative ways to enjoy quinoa is worth checking out.
- These Cauliflower Quinoa Egg White Cups are great for breakfast or a snack, lightened up, packed with wholesome, wonderful ingredients.
- Grilled Vegetable Quinoa Salad with Balsamic Dressing – loaded with flavors and gluten free, this salad is perfect for a summer barbecue. Perfect for grilling season.
- This Instant Pot Quinoa from Evolving table is not only light and fluffy, it is the perfect addition to almost any meal. In this foolproof method, you only need water, a pressure cooker, and 1 minute – there is no soaking and no clumping! Try this quick and easy side dish any night of the week.
Quinoa Chicken Skillet
- 1 lb (1/2 kg) chicken breast cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa — (rinsed)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped squash
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
Preheat a large skillet to medium heat and add olive oil and chicken. Sauté chicken for 5 minutes, stirring and making sure the outside of chicken pieces is cooked.
Add mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes, until water released from mushrooms almost evaporates. Add zucchini and squash and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add uncooked, rinsed quinoa, chicken stock, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, oregano, basil and give it a stir. Cover, reduce heat to low-medium and cook for 15-20 minutes.
Remove from heat, add lemon juice and parsley and serve.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 392, Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 74mg, Sodium: 516mg, Potassium: 1029mg, Carbohydrates: 33g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 33g, Vitamin A: 150%, Vitamin C: 14.2%, Calcium: 39%, Iron: 3.1%