Quinoa Chicken Skillet
Quinoa Chicken Skillet – easy weeknight dinner, nutritious and packed with protein.
This easy quinoa chicken skillet meal is perfect for a quick and healthy dinner. Sauté some chicken breast and leftover vegetables like mushrooms, zucchini and squash and you have a nutritious meal. Quinoa is superfood, high in protein and can be easily incorporated into your diet. Eating lean meats like (good quality) chicken breast is essential for good health because of their low fat. Veggies are always good for you and you can use whatever vegetables you’d like or have. I used portobello mushrooms, zucchini and squash, all of which are low in calories and rich in water.
I cooked chicken pieces in a skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes.Then added and sauteed mushrooms, until water released almost disappeared and after that I added zucchini and squash and cooked for 3 more minutes. Next I added uncooked quinoa, chicken stock, herbs and brought to a boil. Covered and lowered heat to medium low and cooked for 15-20 minutes until everything was cooked. Drizzled some lemon juice and topped with chopped fresh parsley. This dish is light and fragrant, perfect for the summer.
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sigh up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)
- 1 lb (1/2 kg) chicken breast cut into pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 cups sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup chopped squash
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- Preheat a large skillet to medium heat and add olive oil and chicken. Sauté chicken for 5 minutes, stirring and making sure the outside of chicken pieces is cooked.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 5 more minutes, until water released from mushrooms almost evaporates. Add zucchini and squash and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Add uncooked, rinsed quinoa, chicken stock, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, oregano, basil and give it a stir. Cover, reduce heat to low-medium and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and parsley and serve.