Balsamic Grilled Vegetables
I’ve been planning to make balsamic vegetables for a while, but wasn’t sure if I wanted them grilled or oven roasted. So I decided to make the grilled version of this yummy side dish first. Grilling is one of the quickest and simplest ways to prepare vegetables in the summer, and the flavor they have, after being tossed in balsamic vinegar is amazing!
If you own a grill basket, it will help you a lot with this recipe. You simply have to chop your vegetables into small pieces, this way they don’t take too long to grill. You’ll also need some thongs to help you flip and toss veges so they don’t burn.
Toss all chopped vegetables in balsamic vinegar and some olive oil and place them in grilling basket. Make sure you toss them every 2-3 minutes, so they cook evenly.
This side dish recipe is great for steaks, fish, burgers or even on its own for all vegetable lovers out there.
In this recipe I decided to use zucchini, squash, onions, broccoli, carrots and cauliflower. I skipped the peppers, because I did not have any, but you can definitely add peppers for some extra flavor. Asparagus, mushrooms or eggplant would work great for this recipe, too.
The trick in grilling vegetables really is in picking the ones with similar density, so they take similar time to cook. If it happens that some of them are much denser than others, you can prepare your grilled vegetables in batches and mix them later.
Coating vegetables with balsamic vinegar and grilling them with it gives this dish extra fragrance and some sweetness. I also like adding some fresh chopped curly parsley before serving.
Balsamic grilled vegetables can be served hot – right away , but they are just as good at room temperature or cold.
Here is the recipe :
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 large yellow onion cut into rounds
- 1 small head broccoli chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 head cauliflower chopped into small pieces
- 1 carrot sliced into rounds
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley for garnishing
- Preheat grill to medium heat. (I use gas grill). Prepare your grill basket.
- Place all vegetables in a large bowl and pour balsamic and olive oil. Make sure all vegetables are evenly coated. You can use mist sprayers to evenly coat vegetables with olive oil and balsamic.
- Put vegetables in grilling basket and grill for around 20 minutes until vegetables are lightly charred. Toss every 3 minutes, to make sure they don't burn.
- Remove from grill and place in a bowl. Season with salt, black pepper and parsley. Pour some more balsamic vinegar on top.