Green Bean Soup
This colorful green bean soup is delicious for any time of the year. It is easy, budget friendly and clean. It is healthy and comforting, takes less that 45 minutes to cook and you can use fresh, frozen or even canned green beans and tomatoes.
Served with warm piece of bread, this green bean soup makes a complete meal. It is filling, easy and very inexpensive. Adding potatoes brings more volume to this green bean soup. Meats like beef or chicken can be added, but usually prefer not to do so.
You can just make a pot of this soup and keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Easy to reheat, on a day when you have no time to cook. It makes the perfect meatless meal for a Monday, to help you take a break from meat dishes and get ready for the coming Holidays!
Did I ever mention how much I love eating green beans? I like them in a side dish, casseroles, and especially in this green bean soup , the recipe for which I’m sharing with you today. I buy them fresh , frozen or I freeze them myself. I even give green beans to my dog, and he likes them (the perfect low calorie snack). My husband hates green beans and I’m not sure if that’s a good or a bad thing 🙂 I have no problem eating this soup by myself. This was my favorite soup as a child!
This time I used frozen organic green and some fresh tomatoes. As I said good canned tomatoes can be substituted.
I recently discovered an Organic Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base and I’ve used it a few times in soups. It is low sodium and is made with organic chicken meat. 1 tsp of this base is equal to 1 bouillon cube and is being dissolved in 8 oz boiling water. For each quart of stock needed, you should use 1 1/2 tbsp Organic Chicken Base. I got mine at Costco. Of course you can use chicken (or vegetable ) stock of your choice, or even make your own.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 medium potatoes diced
- 1 medium chopped carrot
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 3 cups green beans (fresh or frozen, thawed) cut into pieces
- 5 cups chicken (or vegetable) stock (can use hot water and chicken base)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt - or more depending on taste
- 1/4 tsp dry basil
- In a large sauce pan, over medium heat saute onions and carrots in olive oil for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, potatoes, tomatoes and garlic and bring to a boil. Add salt, pepper and basil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add green beans and simmer for 15 more minutes, until tender. (I do not like over cooked green beans, that's why I add them 15 minutes after all the other vegetables.).
- Cook soup until all vegetables appear cooked through, it usually takes me 30-35 minutes. Cooking time depends on the king of pot used, stove, vegetables amounts of stock used.
- Serve hot. You can garnish with chopped parsley or dill.
Fresh, frozen or canned green beans can be used. Fresh or canned tomatoes can be used.
I do not like over cooked green beans, that's why I add them 15 minutes after all the other vegetables.
Cooking time depends on the king of pot used, stove, vegetables amounts of stock used.
Feel free to us store bought or homemade chicken or vegetable stoic. I used organic low sodium chicken base.
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sigh up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)