Broccoli Soup With Blue Cheese Croutons
This Broccoli Soup With Blue Cheese Croutons is creamy, smooth and comforting. Great for a meal or a dinner starter. The blue cheese croutons add extra crunch and flavor to the soup.
Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a good weekend!
It is starting to feel a lot like winter these days, I got some of my scarves and winter gloves in use again. It is time to start making soups, drink hot tea and I guess – stay more indoors.
For these cold days, I have a very simple recipe for broccoli soup with blue cheese croutons. This soup is great for fall and winter, has light, creamy texture and is loaded with flavors. I know that pretty much anyone can make a cream of broccoli soup, I just added some blue cheese croutons to make mine extra special. It is even good for the coming holidays, even though there is no pumpkin in it. Broccoli is nutritious, low in calories and rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber.
I like all kinds of soups and i just prefer making simple ones like this broccoli soup. It only takes around 45 minutes to prepare and can be refrigerated for up to 4 days.
No slow cooker is required, broccoli cooks quickly.
I used Gorgonzola cheese in the soup and croutons, because I like it and it melts easily. Any kind of blue cheese could be substituted.
What like most about this broccoli soup are the blue cheese croutons. They are crunchy and flavorful. Instead of small cubes, I used baguette and cut come this slices for the croutons. The idea really is to melt some blue cheese (mixed in with some wine and olive oil), then quickly add croutons (bread slices) and cook for 1 minute per side, or until golden. Croutons are totally optional, but recommended!
I’m pretty sure this soup isn’t for everyone (some people just don’t like of can’t have blue cheese), but I really like it!
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 medium carrot chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds (750 gr) broccoli florets chopped
- 1 medium ruset potato choppedd
- 3 cups low sodium chicken of vegetable broth (can use chicken bullion and water or chicken base)
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese divided
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 thin slices of french bread or baguette
- 4 tbsp Gorgonzola cheese
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine
- Preheat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Sauté onion for 1 minute until translucent. Add carrot and potato and cook until softened or for 3 more minutes.
- Add broccoli florets, stock, salt and pepper and cook covered until florets are tender (fot at least 10 -15 minutes). Add 1/4 cup blue cheese.
- Working in batches, puree soup i a blender. (It depends on your preference if you'd like your soup smooth or chunky).
- Divide soup between 4 bowls. Garnish with florets and remaining blue cheese. Add 1 crouton per bowl.
- In a skillet over low medium heat combine blue cheese and wine. Stir until crumbles melt and mixture starts to bubble. Add bread slices, they will start to soak up the sauce, cook for about 1 minute per side. Croutons are ready, when they turn golden. Work quickly and make sure they don't burn.
Any blue cheese of your choice could be used. I used Gorgonzola, because it melts easily.
Chicken/vegetable stock could be substituted with chicken or vegetable bullion or chicken base.