Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe – easy and effortless to make, this soup is light and nutritious, perfectly paired with a sandwich or salad for a healthy lunch or dinner. Kid friendly and ready in under 30 minutes.
This creamy sweet potato soup is one of my favorite soups to make, because it is so easy! All you need is very few ingredients, minimal prep work and short cooking time.
The result – a luscious and comforting soup, that is creamy and airy, without even the use of heavy cream.
This Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe could easily be made vegan.
Just swap the butter with vegetable oil and skip the bacon topping (you can use toasted nuts like pepitas instead).
The spices that I used are (salt and pepper of course) and also cumin and red pepper flakes. If you are making the soup for your children (or babies), you can omit the red pepper flakes. I like to also add hot sauce, like Tabasco to this soup.
A kid friendly soup as I already mentioned, but I really meant a “baby friendly soup”.
Creamy soups, made with just a few nutritious ingredients, like “superfood sweet potatoes”, loaded with flavors and the perfect amount of sweetness are just what my baby boy loves. And of course I love making them for him.
This recipe for Creamy Sweet Potato Soup was originally shared on my blog back in 2014, but it was time to update the photos and share the love for it again. It is perfect for the holidays.
As I’m sharing this soup recipe today, I thought that it was important to mention that temperatures around here are in the 90-s. It is unusually hot and as excited as I am about fall, I love the warm weather.
- If you are not a fan of microwave cooking (I’m not a huge fan!) you can peel and cut potatoes into small pieces and boil them until tender. Then drain and add to the soup.
- This Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe is kid friendly and very nutritious.
- If you find the soup too thick, you can add up to 1/2 cup of water to it, after blending. I personally don’t find the soup too thick.
- This recipe uses no heavy cream, but the creaminess is amazing. This makes it low calorie and low fat.
- If you’d like to make the soup vegan, use vegetable oil instead of butter and skip the bacon topping. Chopped toasted nuts or croutons make a great vegan topping.
- For this recipe you need a microwave safe dish and a blender.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Recipe - easy and effortless to make, this soup is light and nutritious, perfectly paired with a sandwich or salad for a healthy lunch or dinner. Kid friendly and ready in under 30 minutes.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 tbsp butter (olive oil)
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup water (optional, to thin the soup)
- shredded parmesan (optional)
- bacon bites (optional)
- parsley (optional)
- Cut potatoes in halves and place them in a microwave safe dish, cut sides facing down. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover the dish with plastic wrap. Cook on high for 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Cool until they are comfortable to touch and remove the skins.
Alternatively, peel potatoes and cut into small, bite sized pieces. Boil in a pot, filled with water until tender. Drain and add to the stock.
- In a sauce pan heat butter (oil) over medium heat and add chopped onion. Cook for 1 minute and add cumin and red pepper flakes and stir. Add vegetable stock (can use chicken stock) and bring to a boil.
- Puree potatoes and stock in batches and pour into a bowl.
- Serve soup warm with cooked bacon and shredded parmesan cheese on top. Garnish with parsley.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: