Cauliflower Kale Soup
Roasted cauliflower kale soup with kale chips and pine nuts topping.
Time for some Cauliflower Kale Soup.
You can definitely tell it is fall around here.
Even though the temperatures were in the 70s this weekend, I’m getting excited about trees turning yellow.
It is time for some comfort food and soups are perfect for this time of the year.
A while back I used to make soup almost every day.
And I need to get back to this routine. I’m all about quick and easy soups that are usually make in less than 1 hour.
You have a huge cauliflower fan here – that’s me!
I also had some readers requesting a kale recipe and I’m excited to share this Cauliflower Kale Soup recipe with you today.
Why roast the cauliflower?
You can definitely steam or boil it and this will save you some time, but the taste of the soup will be a little different.
Why do I prefer roasted cauliflower in most of my soups?
Roasting the cauliflower intensifies its flavor and gives it a slightly nutty taste. It is all about flavor. You can also use roasted cauliflower as a side dish or in rice and quinoa bowls. It is not mushy like boiled (or steamed) cauliflower and has a great texture and even a little crunch. That’s why this Cauliflower Kale Soup tastes so good!
Kale and cauliflower is a nice combination.
In this recipe half of the kale is roasted to make crunchy kale chips and the other half is boiled and then pureed in the soup.
Kale is a superfood, which I use for soups, salads and smoothies.
It is nutrient dense food, rich in vitamins, minerals, it contains fiber and it is low in calories.
You can definitely serve the soup without even pureeing it, but I just love cream soups and that’s how I make it.
The recipe is for a small batch of 4 servings, because we (my husband mostly!) usually don’t like left over soup.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
Roasted cauliflower kale soup with kale chips and pine nuts topping. Rich, creamy (no cream) and delicious, this soup is full of wonderful flavors.
- 1 head of cauliflower , cut into florets, 2 lb, about 3 1/2-4 cups
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch of kale , stems removed and leaves cut into small pieces (6oz with the stems, an average bunch of kale is 10 leaves)
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , pressed
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 tbsp toasted pine nuts
- Preheat oven to 425 F (220C). Prepare 2 baking sheets.
- In a bowl toss cauliflower in 2 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet. Roast until cauliflower is browned and tender, for about 25 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and reduce temperature to 300 F (150 C).
- In a bowl toss half of the kale with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with salt. Line on a baking sheet and bake until crispy for 30 minutes. Toss half way through.
- Meanwhile in a large saucepan, heat 2 tbsp olive oil and cook onion for 3-4 minutes, on medium heat until translucent. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add roasted cauliflower and stock. Increase temperature to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium low, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add kale and let the soup cook for 10-15 more minutes.
- Working in batches, puree soup in a powerful blender until smooth.Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to serve, serve soup with crispy kale chips and toasted pine nuts on top.
1 head of cauliflower- 2 lb - about 3 1/2-4 cups of florets
1 bunch of kale - 6oz with the stems, an average bunch of kale is 10 leaves
Recipe from Williams Sonoma.