Chickpeas Kale And Quinoa Power Bowls
Chickpeas Kale And Quinoa Power Bowls packed with nutritious vegetables these are easy to prepare, nutritious and delicious.
Happy Thursday guys!
One more day till the weekend ! Warmer weather around here feels so nice!
My husband has been home this week and did a lot of outside grilling.
Trying to grill a steak, when it is 15 F outside can be annoying, so I don’t blame him for using the grill every day, now when it is pleasant outside. Much better for me – I had time to bake some cookies, make these easy chickpeas kale and quinoa power bowls and even put together a fun roundup with quinoa recipes for tomorrow.
These bows come together in under 30 minutes and make a great side dish or light meal.
I rarely post kale recipes on my blog, but that does not mean I don’t cook with it. I actually like kale because it is incredibly nutritious. Rich in vitamins and minerals, powerful antioxidants and very low in calories. I usually use it in salads, but this time I made these warm quinoa bowls with it.
I also added yellow peppers, mushrooms and canned chickpeas. Called them power bowls, because of all the healthy veggies in them plus my favorite quinoa!
Mushrooms, chickpeas and peppers are low fat and low calorie. This makes this gluten free (vegan if vegan stock is used) meal perfect foe those of you, who are trying to eat low calorie, but still nutritious and filling meals.
Very quick and simple to make, these chickpeas, kale and quinoa power bowls could be enjoyed warm, at room temperature or even cold. I also topped mine with some Sriracha mayo to give them a little bit of spicy kick.
So fresh, light and delicious these are just perfect for spring and summer.
I hope you get to try it!
Thanks for reading Cooking LSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups water or low sodium chicken/vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups chopped kale , packed
- 1 large yellow pepper , chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 red onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , pressed
- 3/4 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken/vegetable stock stock
- Rinse quinoa 2-3 times with cold water. In a deep large skillet, combine water (chicken/vegetable stock) and quinoa and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer. Cook until liquid is absorbed. Optional: season with salt. Fluff with fork. Set a side.
- In a deep skillet over medium heat cook onions for 2 minutes, stirring frequently, until fragrant.
- Add sliced mushrooms and cook for 3-4 minutes, then add peppers. Cook until peppers become soft - 3-4 minutes and liquid from mushrooms is almost evaporated. Add garlic, kale, chickpeas, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add in stock and cook on medium for 2-3 more minutes. This will help all flavors come together and prevent the dish from being too dry. You can skip the addition of chicken stock and mix quinoa and vegetables together at this point if you'd like.
- Add in cooked quinoa and stir to combine. Cook for a few more minutes, if there is more liquid that needs to evaporate.
- Serve warm. You can add extra protein like grilled chicken if you'd like.