Creamy Tomato And Spinach Soup
Creamy Tomato And Spinach Soup – made with canned tomatoes, fresh spinach and herbs, garlic and a splash of cream. Comes together in less than an hour and it is perfect for fall and winter.
Cold weather means it is time for some homemade soup.
I’ve mentioned many times that tomato soup is one of my favorites.
I love making soup with fresh tomatoes but, unfortunately they are not in season in the fall and winter. This is when canned tomatoes come in use. Thanks to them, making tomato soup from scratch is so easy!
This creamy tomato and spinach soup is a family favorite and I make it very often. The ultimate comfort food for a relaxing weeknight.
I also use pesto and dried herbs, so don’t worry if you don’t have fresh basil and thyme. This recipe is perfect for the winter.
In soups like this one, I usually like to add some sugar or balsamic vinegar to balance the acidity from the tomatoes. It makes the soup taste just perfect!
I used fresh baby spinach, which is added at the end and cooked for just 5 minutes. Adding spinach is optional, but I love how well it pairs with the tomatoes.
This creamy tomato and spinach soup tastes best when served with grilled cheese sandwiches.
Hope you get to try it!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 2 14.5 oz cans of tomatoes (I used San Marzano)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves pressed
- 1 medium carrot , chopped
- 1 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups fresh baby spinach packed
- chopped parsley for garnishing
- In a deep saucepan cook onion in 2 tbsp of oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add carrot and garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Add canned tomatoes, chicken stock, pesto, balsamic vinegar, thyme, salt pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer soup to a blender (in batches) and blend until smooth.
- Pour soup back in the saucepan and add cream. Stir until combined. Add spinach and cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Serve warm. Garnish with parsley and drizzle with oil or heavy cream.