Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts
Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts – crunchy and flavorful, perfectly cooked Brussels sprouts, that require minimal prep work and just 10 minutes in the air fryer to make. If you are a Brussel Sprouts lover, this recipe is a must try. Preparing these in the Air Fryer saves time and ensures even cooking and a great texture. Serve on their own or use as a side dish or for meal planning.
These Air Fryer Brussels Sprouts are crispy and delicious, a great way to add more veggies to your diet. Brussel sprouts are rich in vitamins K, C, A and Folate. They are a good source of fiber and considered a cold-weather superfood.
To be honest here – I used to hate Brussels sprouts as a kid. But things have changed now and they are one of my favorite vegetables. I like to roast a batch of them and keep in the fridge for frittatas, to mix with other vegetables as a side dish or serve with my morning omelette/eggs.
Seasoning and properly cooking these is essential and determines if there is a chance of you liking them or not. Season with salt and pepper, add some oil. To reduce the “bitterness” that Brussels sprouts sometimes have, I like to drizzle some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar on top.
Why cook Brussel Sprouts in the Air Fryer?
I used to stay away from Air Fryer recipes and only make fries in it from time to time. But things have been different lately.
Now I cook all different kinds of vegetables, fish, seafood, chicken and steak in my Phillips XLL Air Fryer.
Air Fryer happens to be the perfect device for cooking Brussel sprouts. Of course you can make these in the oven if you’d like.
But I have noticed that these cook and crisp up quicker (of course!) in the Air Fryer compared to the oven. You get the perfect golden color on the outside, without them burning. Cooking time is slightly shorter for Air Fryer cooking.
What is the best way to cook Brussels Sprouts?
There are several different ways to cook Brussel sprouts. Roasting, steaming (preserves their vibrant green color), sauteing, frying or grilling are great ways to cook them. Air frying is a nice way to prepare crispy and flavorful vegetables. Brussels sprouts cook evenly and make them soft on the inside and crispy on the outside.
Grilling – it is always a good idea to grill these, but I suggest that you either use a grilling basket or thread them onto skewers and grill this way. Otherwise you are risking to leave them undercooked on the outside.
Shred some of these wonderful veggies and suatee on the stove top with some onions, you add chicken, too.
How to make Brussel Sprouts in the air fryer? What ingredients do you need?
- Brussels sprouts
- black pepper
- oil (either vegetable or grapeseed oil)
- Balsamic vinegar – to balance the flavors and reduce bitterness. It can be substituted with lemon juice or some apple cider vinegar.
- Topping – I used Parmesan cheese, but you can add your favorite toppings.
- Cut off the ends of the Brussel sprouts and cut the sprouts in half.
- In a bowl combine the Brussel sprouts with oil, salt, pepper and Balsamic.
- Preheat Air fryer at 400 F for 5 min.
- Cook in a single layer at 400 F for a total of 10 minutes, tossing at least once, half way through.
- Serve with favorite topping.
- Since Air Fryers are very similar to convection ovens (blowing hot air to quickly and evenly cook the food), you may notice no significant difference between roasted and air fried vegetables.
- With air fryers you save time with preheating. I recommend that you preheat your Air Fryer at 400 F for 5 min.
- Spray a small amount of cooking oil to the basket, after preheating. The veggies will not stick and get crispy on the outside.
- Cut or quarter the Brussel sprouts, but make sure the pieces are with the same size, this way they will cook evenly.
- Shake the basket 2-3 times to achieve even browning and doneness.
- Cook at 375F – 400 F, but not at higher temperature, otherwise they may burn.
Can Frozen Brussel Sprouts be used?
A lot of people actually recommend cooking frozen Brussel sprouts in the air fryer. The explanation is that they cook more evenly and it is impossible to burn them, like you may do with the non frozen ones.
Cook whole, frozen (not defrosted and not cut) Brussel sprouts in the Air Fryer for 14-15 minuted at 400 F (200 C). You can preheat the Air Fryer for 5 minutes, at 400 F. Toss the basket every 4-5 minutes, to make sure they cook evenly.
Do you wash them before cooking?
Yes, I first wash Brussel sprouts, then trim the ends, remove the outer leaves and cut them in half (or cook them whole).
How long to cook and at what temperature in the Air Fryer?
I suggest that you preheat the Air Fryer at 400 F for 4-5 minutes, this way when you add the Brussels Sprouts to the basket, they start cooking and crisping up right away.
For non frozen Brussels Sprouts, that have been cut in half (like in this recipe), cook at 400 F (200 C) for 10 minutes, tossing them once, about half way through.
Brussel Sprouts topping ideas:
No matter how you choose to cook Brussels sprouts, they make a great side dish. They taste great on their own, but you can definitely add your favorite toppings to these Air Fried Brussel Sprouts.
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- Chopped nuts (almonds, peanuts, pistachios, walnuts) or seeds (sunflower seeds)
- Dried cranberries
- Bacon bits
- Nutritional yeast
- Chopped herbs like parsley, thyme or chopped green onions or shallots.
- A drizzle of olive oil, hempseed oil or Balsamic vinegar.
- Drizzle some tahini, if you are a fan of the flavor.
- Serve with poached or fried eggs on top.
Side effects of eating raw Brussels sprouts:
Source : Healthline.com
They contain an indigestible fiber called raffinose, which can be tough on the stomach. When bacteria in your large intestine try to break this and other indigestible fibers down, they produce gases like hydrogen, carbon dioxide, and methane.
I rarely eat them raw – only in a salad, made with shaved Brussel sprouts and have not noticed any stomach issues, but this doesn’t mean thay you are not going to get any.
Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lb Brussel sprouts
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (optional
Cut off the ends of the Brussel sprouts and cut the sprouts in half.
In a bowl combine the Brussel sprouts with oil, salt, pepper and Balsamic.
Preheat Air fryer at 400 F for 5 min.
Cook in a single layer at 400 F for a total of 10 minutes, tossing at least once, half way through.
Serve topped with Parmesan cheese.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 76, Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Monounsaturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 4mg, Sodium: 420mg, Potassium: 451mg, Carbohydrates: 11g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 3g, Protein: 6g, Vitamin A: 904%, Vitamin C: 96%, Calcium: 123%, Iron: 2%