Zucchini Bundt Cake
The best Zucchini Bundt Cake Recipe – simple ingredients that produce and moist and flavorful bundt cake in a few easy steps.
I’ve been making this easy Zucchini Bundt Cake for more than 15 years and my family and friends love it! Time to share it with you. A basic recipe, with nice texture, loaded with flavors. A great way to add zucchini to picky eaters’ meals. Just keep in mind, this is a dessert made with white sugar and should be consumed mindfully.
Can you tell you are eating a sweet treat made with grated zucchini? Most people can not! Especially if you decide to add nuts or chocolate chips to the cake.
If you look closer and already know the ingredients of the recipe, you may be able to see small pieces of finely grated zucchini on the inside of the bread.
Ingredients to make zucchini bundt cake:
- Grated zucchini (you may include the juice released from the zucchini when grated, no need to peel the zucchini, just make sure they are washed well)
- Vanilla extract
- Vegetable oil (olive oil can be substituted, just make sure it is not extra virgin)
- All purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon – the perfect spice for this cake
- Baking powder (yes both baking powder and baking soda are used in the recipe)
- Cooking spray (optional)
In case you’d like to make a glaze to top the bundt cake with, you may need:
- Powdered sugar, heavy cream and cream cheese
- Powdered sugar, milk and lemon zest (or orange) for a simple glaze
Why is zucchini used in dessert baking?
In baking zucchini has a similar role as bananas and apple sauce. It adds moisture to baked goods, nice texture and loads them with nutrition.
Most of the time people can not tell there is a zucchini in cakes like this one. Pairs well with cinnamon and chocolate.
How long to bake zucchini cake in the oven for?
The batter of this cake could get quite watery, depending on the type of zucchini used. I usually bake it in a gas oven for 50-60 minutes at 350 F, until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
It is important that you wait until the cake is completely cool, before you cut it, otherwise you may end up with under baled areas on the inside of the bread.
I’d probably lower the oven temperature for convection cooking (with 25 F), but keep an eye on the bread, you may need to cover the top with foil, if it browns too fast and continue baking until done.
Can you add a glaze to this zucchini bundt?
Of course you can add a glaze on top of this bundt and it is going to taste delicious. I personally love the look of glazed bundt, but never add frosting to this particular recipe. Why? Because I usually like to dust it with just powdered sugar. The cake is perfectly sweet tp me and has just the right balance of flavors.
A frosting made with cream cheese and powdered sugar or just a plain glaze with milk and powdered sugar (plus lemon zest or juice) will pair perfectly with the zucchini cake. A simple drizzle of melted chocolate will be nice as well.
Does zucchini cake need to be refrigerated?
This zucchini bundt does not require refrigeration for up to 5-6 days. Keep in an air tight container or tightly wrapped in plastic wrap at room temperature.
Can zucchini bundt cake be frozen?
While I don’t recommend freezing zucchini, zucchini cakes do freeze very well.
Make sure the cake is completely cool. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then wrap in aluminum foil. Freeze for up to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight. The cake will be perfectly moist, once defrosted completely.
Make it in advance. Freeze it. Bring to potlucks and parties, or just have a nice sweet treat for the times that you crave something homemade and sweet.
More zucchini recipes:
- Preheat oven to 350 F ( 170 C).
- In a bowl combine the dry ingredients - flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
- Beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 4 minutes, until combined.
- Add the oil and mix to incorporate.
- Add the grated zucchini and stir to combine.
- Next add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and mix until just combined.
- Spray a bundt pan ( or a loaf pan) with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean and the cake top is set.