Zucchini Soup Recipe
Zucchini Soup Recipe – creamy, low carb, low calorie soup, that comes together in under 30 minutes. This is seriously the best zucchini soup ever! Vegan option available. Kid friendly, perfect for a healthy start of the year.
Looking for a simple and delicious way to incorporate zucchini into your daily menu?
This easy zucchini soup requires just a few pantry staples and under 30 minutes to make. Basic cream of zucchini soup that could be topped with cheese, sour cream , parsley or croutons.
What ingredients do I need to make this zucchini soup recipe?
Zucchini – zucchini variety of your choice. For soup, you can use any type of zucchini. Either dark green, light green or striped. No need to peel the vegetable. Just trim the ends and cut into pieces. Cook until soft, then puree until smooth.
Olive oil – any type of vegetable oil can be used. Butter can be substituted. Use it to cook the garlic and onion until soft and fragrant.
Cream – omit for the vegan version or use a plant based substitute. If you want to make a truly creamy, smooth and tasty soup I suggest that you use heavy whipping cream. Sour cream can be used instead and it produces less creamy cream of zucchini soup.
Salt, black pepper, thyme – salt and black pepper are mandatory to season the zucchini and bring some taste to the soup. Thyme is optional, but it brings a nice, distinct flavor to the soup. Basil can be used instead of thyme.
Bone broth – perfect for Keto and low carb. Stay tuned for my homemade bone broth recipe. Chicken or vegetable stock can be used instead, to make the soup taste more balanced. Water and some chicken or veggie bullion can be used as well.
Green herbs, sour cream or olive oil – for garnishing.
How to make a creamy zucchini soup?
You need to follow some simple steps for this zucchini soup recipe:
Cook the onion and garlic for 2 minutes in olive oil.
When the onion and garlic have started to soften add the zucchini and cook for 1 minute.
Add the seasoning and broth. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
Add the cream. Add more salt and pepper to adjust the taste.
Keep in an air tight container in the fridge for up tp 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.
How long does it take to boil zucchini?
For a soup, where zucchini will be blended it takes around 15 minutes to boil and soften the vegetables. Depending on the size of the vegetables and if you desire to have some well shaped pieces of zucchini in a soup (not mushy or creamed), it may take between 5-15 minutes to boil zucchini.
Does zucchini soup freeze well?
While freezing zucchini is arguable for some people, I like to freeze both raw and cooked zucchini.
This low carb zucchini soup can be frozen in an air tight container for up to 2 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat on the stove top or in the microwave.
More Zucchini Recipes:
- 1 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 2 large zucchini — about 6 cups, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion — chopped
- 3 cloves garlic — minced
- 3 cups bone broth — chicken or veggie stock
- 1/2 tsp salt — more or less to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme — optional
- 1 cup sour cream or heavy whipping cream
- Olive oil — sour cream, parsley for garnishing
- Heat oil (butter) in a pot.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently.
- When the onion and garlic have started to soften add the zucchini and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the salt, pepper, thyme and broth. Bring to a boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Using an immersion blender blend the soup until smooth.
- Add in the sour cream and stir to incorporate. Add more salt if necessary and serve.
- Keep in an air tight container in the fridge for up tp 3 days.