Oven Baked Zucchini And Feta Cakes (Fritters)
Oven Baked Zucchini And Feta Cakes (Fritters) – so light, simple to make and very addictive.
Today’s recipe for oven baked zucchini and feta cakes (fritters) features two of my favorite ingredients – zucchini and feta cheese.
These are a lot of recipes for zucchini fritters on the web, but I thought that sharing my favorite one is a good idea.
No deep frying and not a lot of messy prep work. You can use a food processor to grate the zucchini. I just used my old box grater.
I grew up eating zucchini and potato fritters and all sorts of fried foods, but lately I’ve been a fan of the “oven baked” kind of fritters.
Just that my waistline feels better, if I don’t consume a lot of fried foods.
There are moist on the inside, lightly crunchy on the outside and not greasy at all.
I served them with garlic yogurt dill sauce, the sauce I normally serve with grilled or fried zucchini.
You can make or buy tzatziki, it will work great.
Feta cheese adds the perfect saltines to these cakes and also helps retain moisture on the inside.
What is important to make the perfect oven baked zucchini and feta cakes it to drain the liquid from the zucchini very well.
You add salt to the grated zucchini and let them sit for 20 minutes.
Then you squeeze as much as you can and drain the liquid.
Then you combine the drained zucchini with garlic, egg, dill, panko breadcrumbs, baking powder and feta cheese.
Shape the patties, I used a cookie scoop, so mine are tiny and even more addictive!
Bake at 350 F for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
Hope you get to try these Oven Baked Zucchini And Feta Cakes!
- 2 medium zucchini , trimmed, peeled and grated
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 garlic clove , pressed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp chopped dill (fresh or frozen)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used Panko)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 small garlic clove , pressed
- salt to taste
- 1-2 tsp chopped dill
- Place grated zucchini in a mesh strainer over a bowl. Sprinkle with salt, stir to evenly distribute it. Let the zucchini sit like that or 20 minutes, so they can release liquid.
- After 20 minutes squeeze out as much liquid out of the zucchini as you can.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat.
- In a bowl combine drained zucchini, black pepper, garlic, olive oil, baking powder, dill, eggs, feta cheese and breadcrumbs.
- Shape about 2 tbsp patties and place them on the baking sheet, leaving some space in between.
- Bake at 350 F until golden - for 20-30 minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and serve with zucchini cakes.
You may need 2-4 tbsp more breadcrumbs, if the mixture appears runny.