Low-Carb, Keto Stuffed Meatloaf Roll Recipe
Low-Carb, Keto Stuffed Meatloaf Roll Recipe – Bulgarian style meatloaf, stuffed with hard boiled eggs, carrots and cornichons (pickles). Topped with cheese. Easy to make, flavorful and delicious meal, rich in protein and low in carbs.
I’m the type of cook who will rarely make a meatloaf. It is one of the easiest dishes to prepare, but I just never remember about this deliciousness. This Keto stuffed meatloaf roll recipe is inspired by one of my favorite childhood dishes – Bulgarian Meatloaf (Rulo Stefani, Ground Meat Roll).
The original recipe is made with a mix of ground pork and ground beef (40:60 or 50:50 ratio), but only ground beef could be used. For this keto version, I used crushed pork rinds, but the original version calls for 2 slices of bread, soaked in water and crumbled. This helps the meat stay together and not fall apart during and after baking, but also keeps is moist.
To season the ground beef (or ground meatloaf meet) in this Low-Carb, Keto Stuffed Meatloaf Roll Recipe I used
For the filling of this easy stuffed meatloaf roll I used hard boiled eggs, that I cut in half, small pickles and carrots. You can also add some cheese inside, but since the meat layer is on the thin side, I did not want it to leak out, so I just added cheese on top, a few minutes before the meat was done cooking.
Other options for a filling are – spinach, sauteed mushrooms, sun dried tomatoes, bacon or prosciutto. You can also add bacon on top and bake the meatloaf with it for the ultimate high fat low carb dinner.
I decided to keep things simple and just use carrots, eggs and pickles, then top with cheese.
Here are some tips to make this meatloaf roll:
- For the most flavor and to keep the meat as moist as possible, use grated onion and add its juice. Onion powder or chopped onion could be substituted, but I’ve found that when using grated onion in dishes with ground meat, the onion juice really enhances the flavor and moisture
- Roll out the ground meat mixture thin on a large piece of plastic wrap, add the fillings to one end and roll. This ground meat meatloaf mixture is pretty easy to work with, so use your fingers to fix any imperfections.
- I don’t own a meatloaf pan, but baked my Keto Stuffed Meatloaf Roll in a regular baking dish.
This Keto Stuffed Meatloaf Roll is easy to make, moist, cheesy and filling. Serve it with a side salad, vegetables, but it can definitely make a great meal on its own.
Keto Stuffed Meatloaf
- 1 1/2 lb ground beef or meatloaf meat
- 1 small onion grated
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg for the meat
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 cup crushed pork rinds for keto or bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 3 hard boiled eggs cut in half
- 10 cornichons or 2 large pickles cut into strips lengthwise
- 1 carrot cut into thin strips
- 1/3 cup mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare a baking dish.
In a bowl combine the meat, egg, pork rinds (for keto or bread crumbs for non keto), salt, pepper, parsley, onion, paprika, cumin and mix to combine.
Place a large piece of plastic wrap on the counter and add the meat. Roll it out to a rectangle, so it is 1/4-inch thick. Add the cornichons, carrots and eggs along the long side on one end. Roll. Using your fingers shape the meat to close the holes on both ends. Place in the baking dish.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, until the meat is fully cooked. Add the cheese on top. Bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.