Fresh Strawberry Buttermilk Donuts (Whole Wheat)
Fresh Strawberry Buttermilk Donuts – made with whole wheat flour, fresh strawberries and sweet strawberry glaze. Very easy to whip up, perfect for breakfast or snack.
Happy Monday! How was your Mother’s Day?
Today’s recipe for Fresh Strawberry Buttermilk Donuts would have been perfect for Mother’s Day, too bad I didn’t get to post it earlier.
Have I ever told you how much I love strawberries? (Who doesn’t?) This Strawberry Jello-O Mold No-Bake Bundt Cake is one of the most popular recipes on my blog.
And I like to use strawberries in so many different recipes like these Fresh Strawberry Buttermilk Donuts.
The use of buttermilk made them light and fluffy. I used half white flour and half whole wheat, to add some extra fiber.
These donuts are not too sweet, which is the perfect excuse to top them with a sweet strawberry glaze.
I’ve been obsessed with baked donuts lately! The dough takes minimal time to prepare and bake. They are a lot lighter and healthier than fried donuts.
I used fresh strawberries in the recipe, but frozen (unthawed) could be substituted.
Try these if you like donuts, strawberries and the color pink!
FRESH STRAWBERRY BUTTERMILK DONUTS
For The Donuts:
For The Strawberry Glaze:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries — , diced
- 1-2 tbsp warm water — , if needed to thin the glaze
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Spray a donut pan with cooking spray.
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine.
- In a separate bowl whisk together buttermilk, eggs, maple syrup, coconut oil and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Fold in 1 cup of strawberries.
- Pipe mixture into the prepared donut pan, filling it 2/3 full. Bake donuts for 8-10 minutes, until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let donuts cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
For The Glaze:
- Puree 1/2 cup strawberries and strain through a fine mesh strainer, trying to extract as much juice as you can. Combine strawberry juice and powdered sugar. Stir and add warm water to thin it, if needed.
- Dip donuts into glaze. Serve immediately or keep in an air tight container in the fridge for 2 days.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 208, Fat: 3g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 28mg, Sodium: 125mg, Potassium: 183mg, Carbohydrates: 40g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 23g, Protein: 3g, Vitamin A: 1.3%, Vitamin C: 12.8%, Calcium: 6.4%, Iron: 6.1%