Feta Mashed Potatoes Last Minute Thanksgiving Side Dish Idea
Feta Mashed Potatoes – very easy to make, creamy, with Mediterranean twist. Perfect for a side dish with roasted meat or veggies.
Tomorrow is the day – Thanksgiving! Some of you are probably busy planning and cooking their holiday menu, others may be traveling.
Just in case, I’m sharing a simple recipe as a last minute idea for the long waited Thanksgiving dinner.
Our dinner usually starts kind of early, around 1 pm, how can you not be impatient with all that food?
These feta mashed potatoes come together very quickly and can be made in advance. You can warm them up in the microwave or in a non stick pan on the stove top.
Another good reason to make these- they are kid friendly, no garlic added. I had to peel my potatoes, because we just like them better peeled, but you can make them either way. And since it is a Holiday, I like to add heavy cream and butter, to make them extra creamy.
I might be a little too late with this recipe, anyway, but I assure you these are great not only for Thanksgiving, I can eat them every day.
We all know how to make mashed potatoes, but these aren’t the traditional garlic mashed, they are creamy, light and flavorful. You can definitely cook the potatoes in the Crock Pot on high for 3-4 hours. I was just very hungry last week, when I made these, so I cooked them on the stove top.
If you are wondering, why feta? Well you can add parmesan or other cheese of your choice, but that’s how my grandmother makes them- with feta cheese. It brings some sharpness and saltiness, which makes this dish unique.
Toppings like bacon, sautéed mushrooms or caramelized onions can be added on top of these mashed potatoes, to customize them a little.
These feta mashed potatoes make the ultimate side dish for your Thanksgiving turkey, but can be enjoyed on their own, too!
And before I go on to the recipe, I wanted to thank each and every one of my readers for all the support, wonderful comments and suggestions!
- 6 medium Russet potatoes chopped into 1 inch cubes (I like mine peeled)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream warmed
- 2 tbsp butter
- 6 oz feta cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Option 1: Cook potatoes in slow cooker on high for 3-4 hours, until fork tender.
- Option 2: Cook potatoes in a pot of water on the stove top, simmer for 30 minutes, until fork tender. Drain water.
- I usually mash my potatoes in my Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer, but you can do this in a bowl and mash them with a hand masher or hand mixer.
- Combine potatoes, heavy cream, butter, salt, pepper and crumble feta cheese. Whip potatoes and other ingredients until smooth. Add more heavy cream or butter if desired.
- Serve with more crumbled feta cheese.