This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
A version of the viral Chopped Italian Sub sandwich, made with mortadella, Italian salami, Cheese, Iceberg lettuce, onions and delicious mayo. I’ve also added some homemade pickled banana peppers and pickled red onions.
So easy to make and super delicious!
All you need it to chop all the ingredients, mix with the mayo dressing, make sure everything is evenly coated and add it to the crusty sandwich rolls.
So simple, but tasty! Perfect for lunch or dinner, a delightful creation, that kids and adults are going to love.
This sub sandwich is easily customizable to your own taste.
Chopped Italian Mortadella Sub
Do you know what a chopped sub sandwich is?
This type of sandwich became very popular on TikTok last year and apparently it is the newest way to enjoy Italian subs.
I’ve shared my spin on it – with Mortadella and salami, cheese and seasoned homemade mayonnaise.
It is a smart and fun way to enjoy sandwiches – every bite is covered in the sauce and the flavors are evenly distributed.
I suggest that you give it a try.
Several deli’s in NYC are offering similar sandwiches in different flavors and they taste so good!
How to make Italian Chopped Sub?
- Iceberg lettuce
- Tomatoes – I used cherry tomatoes, since they taste a little better in the winter, compared to other types, but any tomatoes would work.
- Pickled banana peppers – any pickled peppers or your choice, pickles, pickled vegetables or Giardiniera can be used.
- Pickled red onions – perfect for this type of sandwich. I have a recipe, that is worth trying.
- Mayonnaise of your choice (can be vegan or eggless)
- Yellow or Dijon Mustard
- Apple cider or red wine vinegar (I’ve just been making almost all my recipes with ACV lately)
- Italian Seasoning or any seasoning of your choice. You can make your own seasoning mixture with Italian flavors bu mixing together basil, oregano, marjoram, thyme and rosemary. I like to add some garlic powder and smoked paprika to my “Italian” style seasoning mix.
- Salt and Pepper – if the seasoning mixture contains salt, or the deli meats are way too salty, there is no need to add more.
Bread – the best bread for Italian sandwiches is usually considered to be a soft sub roll or brioche, but any kind of bread you have is going to work. Sourdough and baguette is also a good option.
Building the sandwich
Cur the bread rolls through the middle lengthwise. Remove some of the soft breading (optional), to make room for more stuffing.
Toast, if you’d like to .
Fill the with good amount of the mixture.
Recipe Tips For Chopped Mortadella Sub
- Ingredients – choosing high quality ingredients is always the best way to go. Premium sandwich meat and cheese and also freshly baked bread would be perfect. You can also bake your own bread rolls.
- Variations – there are many variations of the recipe. All you need to do is follow the method, but you are not restricted in the type of ingredients used. I chose Mortadella and Salami, because this is what my kids currently love. Use other cuts of meat, like ham, pepperoni or even chicken and turkey. For the cheese – Mozzarella and Provolone will be great, but I often like to use Havarti. Use different kinds of bread rolls or even flat bread and make a wrap with everything.
- Size of ingredients – the finer you chop the sandwich ingredients, the better. This way every bite absorbs the dressing well and is loaded with flavors.
- Give is a hot kick – I’ve included pickled peppers and onions, but giardiniera, hot peppers, red pepper flakes of some hot sauce would enhance the flavors (unless you are serving these to children).
- Toast the bread – this is completely optional and unnecessary, but if this is what you like – definitely do it.
- Scooping out the softer inner breading of the roll is going to make more room for the chopped mixture.
- Making the sub in advance – the good news : you can prep and chop all your ingredients for up to 1 day in advance and then combine with the mayo and fill the subs. when ready. Once made, the sandwich should be eaten right away.
More Sandwich Recipes:
Chopped Sub Sandwich
- 4 Sub Sandwich Rolls
- 6 oz Mortadella, chopped
- 4 oz Italian Salami, chopped
- 4 oz Havarti Cheese, chopped
- 2 cups chopped Iceberg lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes, chopped (or 1 large tomato)
- 1/4 cup pickled banana peppers
- 1/4 cup pickled red onions
- 1/3 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Mustard, optional
- 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning, store bought or homemade, or any other seasoning of your choice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp black Pepper
- 2 tsp Apple cider vinegar
- For the mayo – Combine mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, seasoning and salt and pepper in a bowl. (Alternatively – if the ingredients have not been chopped, chop together on the cutting board).
- Give it a stir.
- Place all the chopped ingredients on a cutting board and pour the dressing on top. Mix to combine.
- Divide into 4 equal portions.
- Fill the rolls.
- Your sandwiches are ready – serve and enjoy immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.