Apple Spinach Goat Cheese Sandwich – Packed Lunch
This post about Apple Spinach Goat Cheese Sandwich – Packed Lunch is sponsored by Goat Cheeses of France. All opinions are mine alone.
Apple Spinach Goat Cheese Sandwich – Packed Lunch – the perfect, simple to make, healthy and delicious sandwich. Vegetarian, packed with sweet apples, spinach, strawberry jam and creamy Chevre D’Argental goat cheese on a whole grain bread. Ready in less than 5 minutes, this sandwich is great to pack and take to work or school.
Even though I have been working from home for the last 5 years, I love pre-making my lunches. I either make grain bowls, salads or sandwiches (my favorite!). This Apple Spinach Goat Cheese Sandwich is perfect for busy home cooks and goat cheese lovers, like me.
This sandwich is healthy, loaded with essential nutrients, vitamins, minerals, healthy fats and various textures and flavors. It is an amazing meal for people like me, who follow a well balanced diet.
Apple Spinach Goat Cheese Sandwich – made with nutty bread, flavorful jam, delicate spinach leaves, crunchy and juicy apple and Chevre D’Argental cheese. So soft, runny, creamy and sweet.
D’argental is a relatively new innovation by the French fromage industry, as evidenced by its tidy, hexagonal shape – employed no doubt to set it apart from more conventional brie types.
The unconventional aspect is the milk – pure, pasteurized goat. Centuries of experience have paid off in this case. The white, corrugated rind is uncommonly supple and tender.
Not only does it avoid interfering with the luscious, whipped-to-runny texture of the interior, it actually adds an interesting texture contrast.
With a sweet, gentle profile like this, stick with a light bodied, crisp white like Chenin Blanc.
The hero if today’s recipe really is this excellent quality French Goat Cheese.
I’m more than happy I got to try it and share about it in a recipe. French Goat Cheeses are the best choice for every day quality and and authenticity.
French goat cheeses are great for for every day recipes, picnics, lunch boxes, parties and holidays. Use them in a Apple Spinach Goat Cheese Sandwich to pack for lunch, party platters or dishes like mac and cheese.
They are perfect to incorporate in healthy recipes like this sandwich, where all other ingredients are low calorie, low fat and plant based and the goat cheese adds the healthy fats and other nutrients like vitamin A, vitamin B, riboflavin, calcium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium.
France is the no.1 producer of goat’s milk cheese in Europe and even the world: France produced about 265 million pounds of goat cheese in 2016 (120,000 tons).
France has 6,000 producers of goat’s milk including: 3,000 who produce their own goat cheese and 3,000 who sell their milk to one of the 60 dairy companies that produce goat cheese
Dairy farms in France are mainly located in several regions south of the Loire river where the climate, geography and geology form the goats’ diets: Centre-Val de Loire, Burgundy, Rhone-Alps, Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, Occitanie, Nouvelle Aquitaine, Pays de la Loire. These specific diets produce flavor profiles unique to these regions.
French goat cheese also celebrates variety between products. Throughout France, there are 3,000 goat cheese producers and about 60 dairy companies.
French Goat Cheese production is ethical and natural: smaller farm sizes means no crowding, no hormones or antibiotics use.
While many goat’s cheeses in the USA may sound French, they might not always actually be from France and consumers should be aware of it.
Make your lunch box more exciting. Get some authentic Goat Cheese and make this Apple Spinach Goat Cheese Sandwich.
Interested in learning more about other goat cheese varieties? Check out their website here.
Or follow them on Facebook and Instagram.
Here is some more info.
Key Goat Cheese Varieties:
· Crottin, a popular little barrel or drum shaped chèvre, comes from Sancerre country and is a perfect accompaniment to that flinty white wine. The original Crottin de Chavignol is PDO labeled and produced from raw milk, but many imitations and variations can be found today without the “Chavignol” mention. Those available in the USA are produced from pasteurized milk.
· Le Chevrot comes from Poitou-Charentes and has a wrinkled rind, which can be described as brain like.
· Chèvre large log (also called Bûcheron or Bûcherondin) is a favorite of many restaurants for its large format log shape. Every round slice has a thick cream line below the rind and a fresh, lemony center.
· Small log is a cylindrical log; it has a fine, soft, melt-in-the-mouth texture. It can be fresh or matured.
· Valençay stands out with its flat top pyramid shape. Legend has it that Talleyrand had a pyramid shaped goat cheese made for Napoleon. But when Napoleon’s campaign in Egypt failed, Talleyrand cut off the point so as not to remind the military genius of the debacle. When you taste this distinctive ashed chèvre, you taste history as well as France. The original Valençay, PDO labelled, is produced from raw milk, but a pasteurized version (non-PDO) is available in the USA.
· Chabichou du Poitou hails from the very heart of goat cheese producing country and is shaped like a little tower or drum. It’s mineral and sweet at the same time. The original Chabichou, PDO labelled, is produced from raw milk, but a pasteurized version (non-PDO) is available in the USA.
· Sainte-Maure de Touraine is an ashed log with a distinctive straw running through the center. It comes from Touraine and pairs well with those crisp sauvignon blancs. The original Sainte-Maure de Touraine, AOP labelled, is produced from raw milk, but a pasteurized version (non-PDO) named sainte-maure is available in the USA.
· Selles-sur-Cher is a flat, small cylinder with barrel-like sides and an ash-covered rind. It has a fresh taste and is best eaten with the rind. The original Selles-sur-Cher, AOP labelled, is produced from raw milk, but a pasteurized version (non-PDO) is available in the USA.
· Le Pico is a small disk with a natural, bloomy rind. It is smooth, firm and homogeneous in texture and can become crumbly when mature.
· Goat Camembert is circular, shaped like a Camembert cheese with sharply angled sides and a white rind. It has a soft, melt-in-the-mouth, smooth texture, with a mild taste that becomes stronger with age.
· Tomme de Chèvre is a moist, white uncooked pressed cheese in the shape of a thick cylinder with a bluish grey bloomy rind. It has a pronounced flavor with delicate nuances of fruit and hazelnut.
· Other notables include: Goat Feta, Le Cornilly, Pavé de Jadis, Goat Brie, Florette, Chèvre d’Argental, Brique de Chèvre, Bleu de chèvre.
Apple Spinach Goat Cheese Sandwich - Packed Lunch - the perfect, simple to make, healthy and delicious sandwich. Vegetarian, packed with sweet apples, spinach, strawberry jam and creamy Chevre D’Argental goat cheese on a whole grain bread. Ready in less than 5 minutes, this sandwich is great to pack and take to work or school.
Calories: 241 kcal
- 2 slices whole grain bread
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam raspberry jam could be substituted
- 1/3 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 Fuji apple thinly sliced
- 1 oz Chevre D’Argental goat cheese sliced
Spread jam over both slices of bread, on one side.
Add spinach and apple slices to one slice of bread. Add goat cheese and top with the second slice of bread.
Wrap in parchment paper and cut in half.
Add to your lunch box with some fresh fruit and nuts for a packed lunch.
Apple Spinach Goat Cheese Sandwich - Packed Lunch
Amount Per Serving
Calories 241 Calories from Fat 54
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 6g 9%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Cholesterol 13mg 4%
Sodium 136mg 6%
Potassium 153mg 4%
Total Carbohydrates 42g 14%
Dietary Fiber 2g 8%
Protein 6g 12%
Vitamin A 24.6%
Vitamin C 12.8%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.