Chocolate Chip Banana Blueberry Muffins
These chocolate chip banana and blueberry muffins are fluffy, healthy and chocolaty.
Happy Wednesday! How is your week going? With a sick dog (feeling better now) and a lot of unfinished work from last week, I can’t believe it’s Wednesday! I really need to get more organized and focused. I’m sure some exercise in the morning and then testing some new baking recipes will help and get me back on track. To help myself feel better, I needed to make some Chocolate Chip Banana Blueberry Muffins. Healthier muffins. Great for breakfast or a snack. I even ate one before I went to bed last night…
Just recently, I realized I don’t have a whole wheat banana muffin recipe on my blog. And while there are bananas in these muffins, they are loaded with a few more wonderful ingredients.
These muffins are made with whole wheat flour, bananas, blueberries and chocolate chips that melt in your mouth. These muffins are moist, bursting with flavor and very easy to whip up.
I decided to use all whole wheat flour and it worked well in this recipe. Added bananas to make them extra moist and frozen blueberries, just because I couldn’t resist.
And chocolate chips go well with anything, right? So I thought 1/2 cup would be a nice addition.
Decided to use unrefined sugar in this recipe, and not a lot of it, so the muffins are not too sweet. The extra sweetness from the over ripe bananas was just perfect.
Last, but not least – I used coconut oil for my Chocolate Chip Banana Blueberry muffins, which always produces moist crumb in baked goods.
Bananas, blueberries and chocolate – these muffins taste so good! They also freeze well, but my personal preference is to eat these warm, out of the oven, while chocolate chips are still soft!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar).
You might like these muffin recipes, too:
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unrefined sugar
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil (not hot)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 large mashed over ripe bananas
- 1 tbsp agave nectar (optional, if you'd like to make muffins a little sweeter)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (do not thaw/ fresh blueberries could be substituted)
- 1/2 cup semi chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C). Spray a muffin tin with non stick spray and lightly flour it. (Alternative - use muffin baking cups instead).
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with paddle attachment, beat eggs for 1 minute. Add in sugar, Greek yogurt, coconut oil and vanilla. Mix until incorporated. Add in bananas and agave nectar (optional, I did not use it) and mix until evenly distributed.
- In a separate bowl toss whole wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix on low until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Using a rubber spatula gently fold in frozen blueberries and chocolate chips.
- Transfer mixture into muffin tin filling all the way to the top. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips to the top if desired.
- Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes until toothpick inserted comes out clean and tops are browned. Let muffins cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and let cool to room temperature.
Store muffins in an airtight contained in the fridge for up to a week.