Blueberry Muffins With Olive Oil, Yogurt and Streusel Topping
Blueberry Muffins With Olive Oil, Yogurt and Streusel Topping – moist and fluffy with blueberry flavor, perfect for breakfast of an afternoon snack.
It is almost summer and I am obsessed with blueberries.
This is why I had to share these Blueberry Muffins With Olive Oil, Yogurt and Streusel Topping.
Original recipe posted in August 2014. Photos updated in May 2018.
This time I made blueberry muffins with olive oil, yogurt and streusel topping.
The recipe I used is adapted from Letthebakingbeginblog.com and I love the way these muffins turned out.
If you are a foodie like me, Marina’s blog Letthebakingbeginblog.com is worth checking out, she has some amazing recipes and detailed pictures.
Making these blueberry muffins with olive oil and yogurt creates a moist cake like crumb and blueberries are full of antioxidants.
I used frozen blueberries for this recipe, since folding them into the batter is much easier (they don’t bleed) and I feel more confident baking blueberry muffins with frozen blueberries.
To be honest I love streusel topping, but I rarely make muffins and coffee cakes with it.
After seeing this recipe for blueberry muffins I knew I can not skip it and I’m glad I did not, it brought to these muffins extra crunch and flavor.
For those of you who are not very excited about the recipe and are trying to reduce eating sweets, I completely understand.
I tried to reduce the sugar in this recipe and using olive oil and yogurt makes them a little healthier than other muffins.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup olive oil (vegetable oil)
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain yogurt (I used Greek yogurt)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups frozen blueberries (unthawed) and 2 tbsp flour to toss them
- Streusel topping:
- 5 tbsp cold butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Prepare muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- Prepare streusel topping by combining butter, sugar and flour in a food processor and process until crumbs are formed. Keep refrigerated until needed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer combine eggs and sugar and mix until smooth. Add olive oil and mix on medium speed for 2 more minutes.
- Add yogurt, lemon juice and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients - flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder and add them to the mixture. Using a minimal amount of stokes fold everything together.
- Toss frozen blueberries in 2 tbsp flour until evenly coated. Fold blueberries into the batter.
- Using an ice cream scoop fill cupcake liners until almost full. Sprinkle 2 tbsp streusel topping over each muffin.
- Bake at 425 F for 5 minutes (so muffins can rise), then reduce temperature to 350 F and bake for 20-25 more minutes.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an air tight container at room temperature (or refrigerate) for 3 days.