Mediterranean Salad With Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
This Mediterranean Salad With Spicy Roasted Chickpeas is healthy, hearty and also full of protein, vitamins and fiber. Perfect for a weekday lunch.
Happy Wednesday guys! This week time has been flying for me, but I guess that’s a good thing!
With the dessert overload last week, I’m all about light and simple dishes this week 🙂 And today I’m sharing a recipe for Mediterranean Salad.
Chickpeas are a staple in Mediterranean cuisine and used is salads, soups and hummus.
They are also known as garbanzo beans and have a delicious, nutty taste and a buttery texture.
At times I feel that they are a little under appreciated, not very popular, but they have a great nutritional value.
Rich in protein, fiber and antioxidants, they are excellent for weigh loss diets.
Canned chickpeas are widely available in supermarkets in the US and you can easily use them in a lot of recipes. They are fully cooked and ready to eat. At times I find them a little too soft, but I don’t have the habit of buying dry chockpeas.
And since I’m from Bulgaria, chickpeas aren’t new to me! I used to snack on a lot of dry roasted chickpeas as a child, and there were no canned ones around back then.
My great grandma used to soak and then roast raw chickpeas and these used to make a favorite snack. But since I rarely buy dry chickpeas, I’ve been roasting canned chickpeas with some spices.
I usually use them in salads or enjoy them on their own. Adding a kick of spiciness makes them the perfect addition for a salad.
Today I’m sharing a very quick and simple Mediterranean salad recipe. I make this salad very often for lunch and to is packed with wholesome ingredients. This is a vegetarian version (I’m not a vegetarian), but you can easily add chicken or even steak to this salad.
The Mediterranean salad is full of flavors, that come pretty well together. Besides the spicy roasted chickpeas, I used some tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions, roasted red peppers and feta.
For a dressing -you can add your favorite vinaigrette, but since the chickpeas have some flavor from the spices, I usually dress this salad with olive oil and vinegar, and of course season with salt.
I hope you enjoy it!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- FOR THE ROASTED CHICKPEAS:
- 1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, rinsed well and drained
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- FOR THE MEDITERRANEAN SALAD:
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped (or any lettuce of your choice)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2-3 large roasted red peppers
- 1 small english cucumber, cut into cubes
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1/4 cup Kalamata olives
- salt, pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2-3 Tbsp vinegar (apple cider or white)
- Preheat oven to 400 F (205 C). Line a baking sheet with with aluminum foil.
- Place chickpeas in a bowl, add olive oil, cumin, chill powder, Cayenne pepper and salt. Toss well, making sure chickpeas are evenly covered with spices.
- Spread chickpeas in an even layer over baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, until they are crisp.
- Let them cool, before you add them to the salad.
- Add chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, scallions, olives, feta cheese and chickpeas to a bowl.
- Dress with salt, pepper, olive oil and vinegar.
Craving More Salads ?