Greek Inspired Salad With Shrimp
A delicious, light Greek inspired salad with shrimp. A combination of Artisan Lettuce, cherry tomatoes, peppers, onions and feta, topped with sautéed shrimp.
Hi everyone! I hope you are enjoying the last day of the year! Are you planning to party tonight? Go out or stay home? Whatever you’ve decided to do – have fun and stay safe!
I decided to finish the year sharing this simple and light recipe, which is great for lunch or dinner, but can be also made for a crowd at a party.
Not a huge fan of New Year’s resolutions, but I would love to share some more salad recipes in the new year. Salads are a great way to enjoy your veggies and usually take very little time to prepare.
I make similar Greek inspired salads every few weeks. I pretty much make them with whatever I have on hand. And since I’ve been obsessed with salads lately, I decided to throw this one together. I added shrimp to it and it was the perfect addition to this light salad.
Some of you probably already know that there is no lettuce in traditional Greek salad. And this is not a traditional Greek salad by any means. It is just a Greek inspired salad with shrimp. Adding lettuce makes this salad more filling, which is important if you are trying to eat healthier, like me.
This Greek inspired salad with shrimp is super easy for a quick weekday lunch or dinner, but of course it can be served at any party or celebration.
This salad is fresh and clean and totally customizable. Feel free to add olives, leave the onions out or substitute shrimp with grilled chicken. And of course you can use your favorite salad mix or any lettuce you’d like.
I’ve been getting Artisan lettuce from Costco for a while now. And I can say the quality has been pretty good most of the time. This lettuce is by Tanimura and Antle and it includes 6 heads of lettuce . They are different kinds, green and purple ones some leafy and others crinkly. They taste pretty good, some of them are spicy and not bitter (unless starting to go bad).
What I like is that you can mix green and purple lettuce to achieve a more colorful and flavorful salad.
The Greek salad dressing is very simple and I love using it on other salads, too.
I like to cook my shrimp on the stove top and it only takes me 3-4 minutes to do so. You can cook it in advance if you’d like to.
I hope you enjoy it!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar).
- FOR THE SALAD:
- 4 cups chopped lettuce (I used Artisan)
- 1 medium English cucumber
- 1 and 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes cut in half
- 2 medium bell peppers thinly sliced (or 6 mini bell peppers)
- 1/2 large red onion (1 small) sliced
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 lb (500 gr raw shrimp)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 and 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Maple syrup (sugar)
- Preheat a medium stillet to medium and add some olive oil. Wash and dry shrimp with kitchen paper. Season with salt and pepper. Cook shrimp for 3-4 minutes until pink, turning once. Once done, add lemon juice. Do not overcook the shrimp.
- Wash and dry vegetables. Chop lettuce, slice peppers, onions and tomatoes.
- Add salad ingredients and to a bowl.
- Top with cooked shrimp.
- Dressing: Combine all ingredients in a resealable jar and shake well. Pour over salad and toss.
- Top salad with feta cheese.
Happy New Year!