Fresh and very easy to make, this village salad is perfect for summer.
With just a few pantry(fridge) staple ingredients, you can prepare it in minutes.
It has been gorgeous outside!
And I’ve been enjoying every second of it.
This means more effortless recipes are about to come.
This is a Bulgarian salad, and it is usually served without the lettuce there.
Restaurants here in the US, serve it with chopped lettuce, which I don’t mind.
I did not plan on posting this recipe, because it is so simple, I can’t even call it a recipe.
But when I went to a Bulgarian place with some friends, one of my girlfriends suggested that I should share the recipe on my blog.
The truth is – I did take pictures of it a few weeks back, but I knew I was not posting it.
Then I thought, why not!
I’ll just quickly share it and hope some of you like it!
What brings the most flavor to this salad are the fire (gas) grilled sweet long red peppers.
I love making them in the summer.
Of course you can use roasted red peppers from a jar, if you aren’t up to grilling/roasting peppers.
Everything else are – well known ingredients like tomatoes, cucumbers (not all versions have cucumbers), onions and white beans from a can.
The dressing is light – olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
Enjoy your day guys! Enough said, just another simple summer salad recipe.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
For the salad:
- 4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes — , chopped
- 1/2 English cucumber — , chopped
- 1 can — (15 oz) white beans, drained
- 1/2 medium red onion — , diced
- 2 roasted red peppers — , chopped (fire roasted peppers are perfect)
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp honey
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a large bowl place lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers, beans and onions.
- In a jar, combine oil, vinegar, salt and honey. Shake well.
- Pour dressing over salad.
- Add some freshly ground black pepper on top.