This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Purple Cabbage And Green Apple Salad – light and healthy, easy to make summer salad, made with a few simple ingredients.
I guess fall hasn’t officially arrived, although this weekend is on the chilly side, here in Chicago. I wanted to hurry and share with you this recipe for a wonderful, fresh purple cabbage salad.
This Purple Cabbage And Green Apple Salad is light, clean and simple to make. It combines crunch from the vegetables, nuttiness from the sunflower seeds and lots of flavor and some sourness from the dressing. The combination of colors in this salad is bright and eye catching.
What Ingredients do you need to make this Purple Cabbage And Green Apple Salad?
Purple cabbage – the color says it all, this cabbage, like all purple colored fruits and vegetables is very rich in antioxidants and obviously good for you.
My obsession with green apples continues. Did you know that there are diets, where you only eat green apples for a few days. They are supposed to be very successful? I don’t know how healthy they are, that’s why I prefer to make fresh green apple juice or add some sliced apple to my salad. Green apples are rich in minerals, vitamins and contain more fiber and less sugar than red apples. They have high antioxidant levels and have the ability to keep your digestion organs in good shape.
I like a plenty of carrots in my cabbage salad, not just because they pair well together, but because they are rich in beta-carotene and vitamin A.
Cabbage Salad Dressing:
The simple dressing, that I’ve used on other cabbage salads, consists of extra virgin olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard, salt, pepper and some honey or agave nectar. It is much lighter than mayonnaise based slaw dressings and definitely enhances vegetables’s flavors.
How to store cabbage salad?
This salad can be stored in the fridge in an air tight container, even with the dressing on for 2-3 days.
Purple Cabbage And Green Apple Salad
- 2 cups chopped purple cabbage
- 1/2 cup shredded carrots, (2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 sliced green apple
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds, (can use raw or toasted, pumpkin seeds or chopped hazelnuts can be substituted)
- 1 tsp chopped parsley, (optional)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 to 1 tsp honey or agave nectar, (depends on how sweet you prefer your dressing)
- 1/2 tsp chopped parsley, (optional)
- Prepare the dressing by whisking 1/4 cup olive oil, 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp honey (agave nectar) and 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar in a small bowl. Add 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper and 1/2 tsp parsley and stir to combine.
- In a medium salad bowl place chopped cabbage on the bottom and add shredded carrots, sliced apple and sunflower seeds.
- Pour dressing on top, serve and enjoy!
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.