Easy Quinoa Fried Rice
Easy Quinoa Fried Rice – simple to make side dish, combining quinoa with some awesome Asian flavors.
I had the hardest time naming this dish…
Did not want to give it a misleading name, because fried rice is a staple in Chinese cuisine and quinoa isn’t rice.
I basically followed one of my fried rice recipes, but substituted rice with quinoa. Of course there is a difference, but I love quinoa so much, that I can’t even notice it. It absorbs so much flavor in this dish and tastes awesome!
Of course much better than fast food fried rice.
This easy quinoa fried rice takes less than 30 minutes to make and even less if you have pre cooked your quinoa. Chilled quinoa (just like rice) works best for this dish.
I know I’m not the first person to share this recipe on the internet, but I decided to post it, anyway!
It feels like I needed a break from all the dessert recipes lately, and especially after Valentine’s Day. That’s why the last few recipes are on the “healthier side”, hope you don’t mind.
I’ve wanted to share this quinoa fried rice recipe for a while now, but every time I make it, I’m in a rush and have to time to snap a picture. I decided to make it yesterday, because I needed a quick and easy side dish. And since the Chinese New Year is today, the time was perfect.
Just wanted to wish all my friends, who celebrate a healthy, happy and lucky New Year!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- 1 cup quinoa (2½ - 3 cups cooked quinoa)
- 2 cups water (or chicken stock)
- 1½ Tbsp coconut oil, divided
- 2 eggs
- ½ chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cups frozen vegetable mix, thawed (I used carrots, peas, corn and green beans, see notes)
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ½ tsp fresh ginger, minced (or ¼ tsp dry)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 2-3 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp stir fry sauce or teriyaki
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- To cook the quinoa: Rinse quinoa 2-3 times with cold water. In a deep large skillet, combine water (chicken stock) and quinoa and bring to a boil. Then reduce to a simmer. Cook until liquid is absorbed. Optional: season with salt. Fluff with fork. Chill for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat a wok or saute pan over high heat. Add ½ Tbsp coconut oil. Add in eggs, let them cook for 30 seconds, then scramble. Transfer to a clean plate.
- Return wok to heat and set temperature to medium high. Add coconut oil and onion. Cook onion for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, mixed vegetables, half of the scallions, ginger and red pepper flakes (optional). Cook for 3 more minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add quinoa and ½ Tbsp coconut oil and stir fry for 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, stir fry (or teriyaki) sauce and sesame oil. Stir to incorporate.
- Add scrambled eggs and stir again.
- Top with the remaining scallions.
Feel free to use a mix of your favorite veggies, I just used what I had. For this recipe you need 2 cups thawed (previously frozen vegetables).
Cooked and chilled quinoa works best for this recipe.
More Quinoa Recipes: