Spicy Pumpkin Soup
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #VivaLaMorena #CollectiveBias
This spicy pumpkin soup is creamy (without any heavy cream), loaded with flavors and some spiciness. Topped with crunchy pepitas. It can easily be turned vegan and takes less than 45 minutes to prepare.
It doesn’t feel like fall, without some pumpkin soup. This is the first pumpkin soup I made this year and I love how it turned out.
The perfect soup made with simple, easy to find ingredients, great for lunch or dinner.I’ll definitely be making it for Thanksgiving!
With a few, mostly unpleasant things happening to me lately, I really needed to relax. And a great way to relax for me is – cook some comfort food and enjoy it. Enjoy the little things like this soup.
I’m very excited because I used some ingredients, that were new to me. To add some hotness to the soup, I used La Morena Pickled Jalapenos. To add thickness to the soup and some southern flavors, I used Maseca® Corn flour. These products brought authentic, Hispanic flavors to the soup, which I love.
I got all products for this soup at Tony’s Finer Foods Grocery Store. I’m impressed with the variety and quality of ingredients they offer. I used to work with a girl, who always shopped at Tony’s Finer Foods. My problem – I used to live far from one, so I never went to check it out. Now I live like 10 minutes away from a Tonys store and it had turned into one of my favorite places to shop.
Both products La Morena Pickled Jalapenos and Maseca® Corn Flour could be found in the Hispanic aisle at Tony’s Finer Foods.
This soup is very easy to prepare and very creamy without any dairy products. You don’t even need a slow cooker to make it, because it requires minimal cooking time. Then you just blend it to make it smooth.
I topped mine with some toasted pepitas, which I seasoned with cayenne pepper and salt.
Easy, effortless one pot meal, perfect for the holidays.
Hope you enjoy it!
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3-4 La Morena Pickled Jalapenos , chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken stock , warm
- 1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 1 (15 oz) can chickpeas
- 1/2 cup +2 tbsp Maseca® Corn Flour
- 1/4 cup raw pepitas
- salt and cayenne pepper to taste
- oil spray
- In a medium saucepan heat olive oil. Add onion and garlic. Sautee for 3-4 minutes until fragrant. Add jalapenos. Add cumin, oregano, salt and pepper, chili powder and corn flour. Stir. Add stock. Whisk to dissolve the flour.
- Add pumpkin puree and chickpeas to the mix. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, until thickened. Stir frequently.
- Let the soup cool for a few minutes. Transfer to a blender (or use immersion blender) and blend until smooth.
- Spray pepitas with a little vegetable oil or water. Season with some cayenne pepper and salt. Toast on the stove top for 5-7 minutes over medium heat. Stir frequently, do not burn.
- Serve soup with toasted pepitas.
You might also like: