Red Velvet Cake Roll With Cream Cheese Filling and Giveaway
This red velvet cake roll with cream cheese filling is sweet, soft and just perfect for Valentine’s day. Very easy to make, I made it in less than 1 hour.
How was your weekend?
Mine was nice, I got to try some great food at the game party I went to.
And a side note – the weather is horrible here. Snow, snow, snow…
But I’m back with a Red Velvet Cake Roll With Cream Cheese Filling recipe today and a very exciting Valentine’s Day Giveaway!
Cake rolls take a lot less time to make than baking a cake and always look impressive.
Take it to a party or serve to your guests or a loved one.
With pretty much everyone is in Valentine’s Day Mood, (including ME, too!) I decided to experiment and bake a red velvet cake roll. The result was this fluffy red velvet roll with creamy and tasty cream cheese filling. I should have made this one for Christmas, right?
To be honest, I had the most trouble when choosing a recipe for the actual cake layer, because for the cream cheese frosting – I have a favorite recipe I always use.
For this Red Velvet Cake Roll With Cream Cheese Filling, I tested two different recipes one with 3 eggs and another with just one, and decided to go with the second one. The cake was fluffier for some reason and paired well with the frosting.
I also happened to have about 1/3 of the cream cheese frosting left, because when filling the roll, I felt that it was too much. Well, I guess it wasn’t doing to be too much and you can go ahead and use the whole amount of frosting. Will do it next time.
When baking a cake roll, it is very important not to over bake the cake layer, because the roll will end up with a lot of cracks and will be chewy. On the other hand – I almost always have cracks in my cake rolls, but they either get hidden when I add the filling or I just sprinkle powdered sugar or cocoa on top. The truth is – my rolls are not perfect and I’m ok with it. As long as they are delicious, it is all good!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
Now on the FUN part: There is no better time for a Valentine’s Day Giveaway than right now!
I’ve teamed up with some amazing bloggers and friends, to bring you a very exciting Valentine’s Day Giveaway.
Enter today, for a chance to win a $300 Amazon.com Gift Card
Enter in the widget down below. There are a lot of ways to win! You might need some extra money or just get yourself or a loved one a nice present!
The Giveaway is open to U.S. residents only. You must be 18 years or older to enter. Winner will win one $300 Amazon Gift Card. Good Luck!!!
Brought to you by:
- 3/4 cups flour
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp liquid red food coloring
- 8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 oz unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar , sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C). Spray a 10x15 inch jelly roll pan with cooking spray and line bottom with parchment paper. Grease the parchment paper and lightly flour it. Set a side.
- Generously sprinkle a thin kitchen cotton towel with powdered sugar.
- In a bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Set a side.
- In a cup, whisk together buttermilk, vinegar and vanilla. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, with the paddle attachment cream butter for 2 minutes, until fluffy. Add sugar and beat for 2 more minutes, scraping the sides of the bowl. Add egg and beat on low speed until incorporated.
- With the mixer on low, start adding dry ingredients alternating with the buttermilk in three additions.
- Add the red food coloring and mix until incorporated.
- Transfer batter to the prepared pan and bake for 18-23 minutes, until cake springs back when touched. (I baked it for 19 minutes)
- Immediately loosen cake and turn onto prepared towel. Peel off parchment paper. Starting with the narrow end, roll up cake and towel together. Let it cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with paddle attachment beat together cream cheese and butter, until well combined for about 4-5 minutes. Add powdered sugar and beat until incorporated. Add vanilla and mix until evenly distributed.
- Once cake roll has completely cooled, carefully unroll. You might have some of to stuck to the towel and tiny cracks, but this is ok.
- Spread cream cheese over the surface of the roll.
- Roll cake up again and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, before serving.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar. Slice and enjoy!
More Cake Roll Recipes:
Carrot Cake Roll