Cake Roll For Fall
This Cake Roll For Fall is easy to make and makes the perfect seasonal dessert.
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #BakeInTheFun #CollectiveBias Make sure you enter the sweepstakes for a chance to win a KitchenAid® Mixer. There is more Information below. #bakeinthefunsweepstakes
Happy Friday, everyone!
I can’t even believe it is September 18 already and I’m starting to get in a serious fall mood. I’ve been seeing a lot of pumpkin desserts and fall decorations around here.
And to be honest, I love fall, the change in seasons and all the excitement about the coming holidays.
Fall baking is my favorite! Warm spices and delicious baked goods like this cake roll, filled with cream cheese icing and crushed M&M’s® Pecan Pie candy.
Decorated with fall colored M&M’s® I’m sure all dessert lovers will enjoy it! You’ve probably seen other cake roll recipes on my blog but have never thought of making one.
I decided to include step-by-step photos for you, to inspire you to try it. And don’t worry if your roll cracks a little. Because we are using Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Cream Cheese Icing, it is perfect to hold even a cracked cake roll together. I also adapted my sponge cake recipe from my Tiramisu Cake Roll and substituted Mott’s® Apple Sauce for the butter. The cake turned out so soft and fluffy!
Because I wanted to try the new M&M’s® Pecan Pie 9.9oz and use them for the filling and decoration of this cake roll, I went to my local Walmart to get them. I was impressed by the pecan flavor and the fall colored candy is so much fun! They are perfect for baking and snacking.
I also grabbed some Mott’s® Apple Sauce Original, Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Cream Cheese Icing, Pillsbury™ Moist Supreme® Cake Mix (which I’ll use soon) and some Snapple® Apple to keep me hydrated.
I’m hoping to impress my friends with this fall dessert! Wish me luck!
Have a great weekend!
Cake Roll For Fall
For the sponge sheet cake:
- ½ cup cake flour + 2 tbsp for dusting the pan
- 5 large eggs at room temperature — (egg yolks separated from egg whites)
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 tbsp applesauce
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar for dusting the towel
For the filling:
- 1 Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Cream Cheese Icing — (reserve 2 tbsp for decoration)
- 1/2 cup M&M's® Pecan Pie 9.9oz candy — , crushed
- 3 tbsp chopped toasted pecans
- M &M's® Pecan Pie 9.9oz candy
- chopped pecans
- Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Cream Cheese Icing to drizzle on top
- powdered sugar — (optional)
For the cake roll:
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C).
- Spray jelly roll pan (9x13 in) with cooking spray, line with parchment paper, then spray with oil and dust with flour over parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together egg whites, salt and cream of tartar. Beat on medium speed until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl (you don't even need to use a mixer for this) beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla on medium-high speed until pale and thick (3-4 minutes). Add Apple Sauce and stir. Fold in cake flour. Then fold in egg whites in 3 additions.
- Spread batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cake top should spring back when touched.
- GENEROUSLY sift powdered sugar over a kitchen towel. Run a knife around the edges of the baking sheet to loosen the cake, Flip the sheet pan with the cake over the prepared towel. Remove parchment paper (which was on the bottom) and roll cake up with the towel. Let it cool completely.
- When the cake is completely cool, carefully unroll it with the towel (careful not to crack it, but a few small cracks are ok). Using a spatula, spread Pillsbury™ Creamy Supreme® Cream Cheese Icing over the cake. Sprinkle the crushed M&M's® candy and pecans. Gently roll cake back (without the towel) and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Add 2 tbsp of the icing to a small zip lock bag and cut the tip. Drizzle cream cheese icing on top of the cake roll. Using small dots of icing "glue" M&M's® candy to the top of the roll. Add some chopped pecans. Slice and enjoy.
9x13 inch jelly roll pan. I do not guarantee the same results if you use a smaller or larger sheet pan.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 257, Fat: 14g, Saturated Fat: 6g, Cholesterol: 108mg, Sodium: 227mg, Potassium: 109mg, Carbohydrates: 26g, Sugar: 20g, Protein: 5g, Vitamin A: 445%, Calcium: 49%, Iron: 0.7%
More Cake Roll Recipes