This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Thank you Potatoes USA for sponsoring this post. Make a delicious and convenient meal today with potatoes!
Potatoes With Tomato Sauce Feta And Eggs Recipe – simple, nutritious and flavorful weeknight meal. Very easy to make with ingredients you may already have.
A creative and delicious combination of boiled potatoes, cut in half and some of the inside removed, so it looks like a potato boat, placed in a skilled, topped with tomato sauce, feta cheese, seasoning and eggs. Baked until the eggs are fully cooked. Topped with fresh basil. This Potatoes With Tomato Sauce Feta And Eggs Recipe is a family dinner made with minimal prep work in 30 minutes.
This Potatoes With Tomato Sauce Feta And Eggs Recipe is amazing because it only requires a few simple steps and ingredients to prepare.
It may look like Shakshuka at first glance, but actually it is a completely different dish and the flavors are more Mediterranean and Italian, not spicy and there are potatoes hidden on the bottom.
My family loves potatoes in any form, type and shape and it is a lot of fun for me coming up with new, creative ways to cook them.
I’ve shared roasted potato recipes, potato salads and very few main dishes using potatoes.
With the weather getting colder this week and holidays not too far away, it is just the perfect time for another simple and comforting potato recipe.
Potatoes are :
- An excellent source of vitamin C
- A good source of potassium (more than a banana!)
- A good source of vitamin B6
- Fat-, sodium- and cholesterol-free
- Only 110 calories per serving
Depending on the type and size of potatoes you choose and of course cooking method, cooking time may vary. It is a common misconception that potatoes always require long cooking time and this Potatoes With Tomato Sauce Feta And Eggs Recipe is the perfect example.
Why I love this recipe even more it that it is kid friendly, has simple flavors and is fun to make.
In this Potatoes With Tomato Sauce Feta And Eggs Recipe, I used yellow potatoes. They are marble to large size; round or oblong shape; light tan to golden skin; yellow to golden flesh.
I had to pick the smallest potatoes in the bag, around 3 – 1/2 inches long, to make sure that they cook quickly. Also choosing potatoes with the same size in essential, so they cook at the same time.
Yellow potatoes are slightly waxy, velvety, moist and keep their shape relatively well, which makes them perfect for this Potatoes With Tomato Sauce Feta And Eggs Recipe.
Potatoes in combination with flavorful tomato sauce taste amazing. The addition of salty feta and eggs, fresh basil, black pepper, garlic and oregano is what makes the dish super delicious and unique.
What this dish lacks is heat, but you have the option to add some cracked hot red pepper on top, if you’d like.
If you love potatoes just like me, you can learn more about the benefits of potatoes here.
For more inspiration and delicious recipes, visit Potatoes USA’s Page Here.
For more recipes and inspiration, make sure you follow Behold: Potatoes (Potato Goodness) on Facebook.
Potatoes With Tomato Sauce Feta And Eggs
- 1 lb Yellow Potatoes, same size, about 3-inches long
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups thick tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 6 eggs
- 4 leaves basil
- Place potatoes in a pot with water, cover and boil for 15-18 minutes, until tender, but still slightly firm.Drain and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out some to the flesh on the inside (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Add olive oil to the bottom of an oven safe skillet. Add potatoes, arranging them cut side up. Season with salt and pepper.Add tomato sauce on top. Add garlic, dried oregano and basil.
- Top with half of the feta cheese. Add cracked eggs.Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until egg whites are almost set. Turn the oven to broil and broil for 1-2 minutes, until eggs are cooked.
- Take out of the oven and season with some black pepper. Garnish with fresh basil. Serve immediately.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of CLEVER and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.