Homemade Blueberry Basil Lemonade Recipe
Homemade Blueberry Basil Lemonade Recipe – refreshing drink, which is a great addition to any summer party.
Most of us have made lemonade at home at least once. I rarely make homemade lemonade, because I usually make fancier drinks, or just drink water. But I’ve been thinking of a fruity lemonade for a few weeks and decided to finally make it.
I prepared some blueberry syrup, which I then added to homemade lemonade. You can add the syrup to plain soda water or store-bought lemonade.
I made the blueberry syrup with fresh blueberries and coconut sugar. Frozen blueberries could be used instead. You can also use white sugar, instead of coconut, but I really liked the caramelly flavor. Since coconut sugar is closer to brown sugar in color, the syrup’s color turned out quite dark, but this did not bother me.
All you need to make the blueberry syrup is sugar, water and blueberries. Then you can store it in the fridge for up to 1 week. I personally used it within a couple days, since we had people coming over and everyone loved it.
Since the blueberry syrup is sweet, I reduced the amount of sugar for my lemonade. Feel free to do the same.
You can also use different fruits, instead of blueberries and follow the same process, to make some amazing summer drinks.
Blueberry Basil Lemonade
For the blueberry syrup: (makes 1 - 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar)
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
For the lemonade:
- 1 cup simple syrup
- 1 cup lemon juice (freshly squeezed)
- 4-5 cups water
Other:fresh basil leaves
For the blueberry syrup:
- In a deep saucepan, combine sugar, water and blueberries. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium. Cover and simmer for 25 minutes. Mash blueberries to release juice.
- Let it cool to room temperature. Strain and pour into a bottle. Refrigerate for up to a week.
For the lemonade:
- In a pitcher, combine simple syrup, lemon juice, and water.
- Fill glassed with ice. Add 2-3 tbsp blueberry syrup to each glass. Top with lemonade.
- Add fresh basil leaves to each glass for extra flavor.
Feel free to use frozen or fresh blueberries.
The blueberry syrup could be made with coconut or white sugar. You can use it with any soda, homemade or store-bought lemonade.
The lemonade is made with white sugar and is isn't too sweet.
Keep in mind that you can always add sweetener or water to adjust the drink to your taste.