Easy Homemade Cranberry Sauce
With Thanksgiving less than 2 weeks away, it is the perfect time to share a recipe for an easy homemade cranberry sauce.
I enjoy homemade meals all the time, but especially around the holidays!
This homemade cranberry sauce is sweet and flavorful . This stuff is much better than the one you buy at the store and it is worth the time making. You can control the amount of sugar used and skip the not so healthy preservatives. It only takes 20 minutes to make and can be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
We all know that turkey goes well with cranberry sauce, but you can still use your left over sauce to spread on toast, crepes, muffins, sandwich, make a dressing with it or spread over cheesecake. With all the fresh cranberries in pretty much every store, I just couldn’t wait and make some cranberry sauce “my way”.
I used combination of white and brown sugar in this recipe and also added some orange juice for extra freshness and flavor.
This homemade cranberry sauce is citrusy and delicious. Simple to make and you can’t get it wrong. And I totally forgot to mention it is vegan and gluten free.
Optional: To thicken the sauce even more and for extra Omega 3 and protein, you can add 1 tbsp chia seeds, after you remove sauce from the stove top.don’t forget to follow me on: Pinterest Instagram Twitter Facebook Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)
- 1 (12 oz/2 cups) bag cranberries, rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light-brown sugar
- 1 tsp orange zest
- In a medium sauce-pan over medium-high heat, whisk together water, orange juice, sugar, light-brown sugar and orange zest.
- Bring to a boil then carefully add in cranberries.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Allow mixture to simmer about 15 - 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Cranberries will pop.
- Let sauce cool for about 20 - 30 minutes. Store in refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
Optional: To thicken the sauce even more and for extra Omega 3 and protein, you can add 1 tbsp chia seeds, after you remove sauce from the stove top.
I’ve been making this sauce every year. This is the most recent photo of it 🙂
Similar recipe: BLUEBERRY LEMON CHIA JAM