Blueberry Lemon Chia Jam
Blueberry Lemon Chia Jam – ready in under 30 minutes, made with just a few simple ingredients. Vegan and gluten free.
It is still summer and you can easily find fresh blueberries everywhere. Now it is time to stock up on them, freeze some for your baking needs or make some muffins, coffee cake or even blueberry jam. I recently became a huge fan of chia jams, because they are quick and simple to make and also have no preservatives.
I’ve made blueberry chia jam in the past, but this time I decided to add some lemon zest and juice. This blueberry lemon chia jam contains only 4 simple ingredients, but tastes much better than store bought jam. Lemon adds a lot of flavor and freshness, especially used two ways – zest and juice. Blueberries are a natural antioxidant, and yet – my favorite berries.Chia seeds are also an antioxidant and contain protein and fiber. Chia helps thicken the jam, and creates an interesting consistency. Thanks to chia seeds this jam only takes 15 minutes to make, so you don’t need endless hours to make it, unlike most jams.
I love this jam on my breakfast crepes, mixed in my plain yogurt snack or just over a whole grain bread.
This recipe makes one 16 oz container, which you can keep in the fridge in air tight container for up to 6 weeks.
For the recipe I froze fresh blueberries, but you can just buy frozen ones from the store and use them.
don’t forget to follow me on:
and sigh up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes (link in the sidebar)
- 4 cups frozen blueberries
- juice and zest from 1 large lemon
- 8 tbs agave nectar (honey or maple syrup may be used)
- 8 tbsp chia seeds
- In a large deep pan over low medium heat combine frozen blueberries, lemon juice, lemon zest, agave nectar. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Using a potato masher or a fork mash berries. Add in chia seeds and mix well. With heat reduced to low cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Transfer jam to a container and let cool at room temperature.
- Keep refrigerated.