Easy Broiled Shrimp
Easy Oven Broiled Shrimp Recipe, that is ready in just 5 minutes. Quick to make, with a few simple ingredients, flavorful and delicious.
Looking for the fastest way to prepare shrimp without overcooking it, why not try broiling it in the oven? It only takes 1-2 minutes of cooking time, depending on the size of the shrimp. Serve with a size of cocktail sauce, melted butter or use in salads, pastas or grain bowls.
What ingredients do I need to make broiled shrimp in the oven?
- jumbo shrimp, preferably unpeeled
- black pepper
- high heat oil like grape seed, avocado or canola
- lemon juice (optional)
- garlic powder (optional)
- melted butter (optional)
What kind of shrimp to use? Peeled or Unpeeled Shrimp. Which one tastes better?
Size of shrimp
You can use any size shrimp for oven baking, but I personally like to use medium to large or jumbo shrimp. It is best to use count per pound – the fewer shrimps per pound, the larger they are. The larger the shrimp, the longer it takes to cook.
Jumbo shrimp usually has between 21-25 pieces per pound.
Peeled, tail on or unpeeled shrimp
I personally prefer peeled, tail on shrimp for most of my recipes, but this recipe calls for a shell on shrimp.
Cooking shrimp with the shell on, prevents it from overcooking and creates a great seafood flavor. Fresh, wild caught, never frozen shrimp tastes best.
While you can use peeled shrimp in this seafood recipe, I recommend getting unpeeled jumbo shrimp.
It is up to you, if you’d like to leave the tail on, when using peeled shrimp.
How to make this Easy Broiled Shrimp?
- Wash shrimp and pat dry. If the shrimp is not deveined, devein by making a shallow slit down the middle of the back to expose the black intestine. Lift out the black vein with the point of a paring knife and remove. You can rinse the shrimp under running water.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Preheat oven on broil to 500 F (260 C).
- Line the unpeeled shrimp on the baking sheet and season with salt and black pepper.
- Drizzle with olive or vegetable oil.
- Broil for 2 minutes until it turns light pink color, then take out of the oven and turn all the shrimp on the other side, this way shrimp will be cooked on both sides.
- Serve with lemon juice and melted butter.
How long to broil shrimp in the oven for?
Broiling uses intense direct heat from the oven broiler for charred, caramelized foods. The temperature used is usually between 500 – 550 F, but the oven’s thermostat us used to control the temperature.
While broiling is perfect for meats and seafood, like this unpeeled jumbo shrimp, when cooking fatty meats, trimming the fat is recommended to prevent smoke.
The time you need to broil shrimp depends on its size, oven temperature and type of baking dish used.
When broiling unpeeled jumbo shrimp, broil at 500 F (260 C) for 2 minutes, then immediately take out of the oven.
What to serve this Easy Broiled Shrimp With?
This easy two minute shrimp can be served as an appetizer on its own and this is what I usually do.
More Shrimp Recipes:
- Sriracha Almond Crusted Shrimp Salad
- Zucchini Noodles With Shrimp
- Grilled Blackened Shrimp Recipe
- Easy Garlic Shrimp Recipe
Easy Broiled Shrimp
- 2 lb large shrimp — I used jumbo shrimp
- 2 tbsp high heat oil — avocado, grape seed
- 1/2 tsp sea salt — or more to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper — or more to taste
Preheat oven to broil (500 F/260 C).
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Line shrine on the baking sheet, leaving at least an inch between them.
Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
Drizzle with oil.
Broil for 2 minutes on one side. Take out of the oven and turn the shrimp around.
Let it sit for 2 minutes, then serve.