Chopped Wedge Salad Recipe
Chopped Wedge Salad Recipe – classic iceberg lettuce wedge salad meets the popular chopped salad and the result is very delicious.
A salad made with chopped iceberg lettuce, chopped bacon, tomatoes, onions, parsley or chives (optional) , onions and homemade blue cheese dressing. Perfect for lunch or as a side salad for dinner.
What is wedge salad? This is a salad, that consists of a cold wedge of iceberg lettuce, topped with diced tomatoes, bacon crumbles and a blue cheese dressing.
I realized that I’ve never shared a classic wedge salad recipe on the blog, but this Gulf Shrimp Wedge Salad is a great variation of it, especially of you like seafood.
Why make the chopped version of popular wedge salad?
I think it is pretty logical.
How do you eat wedge salad though? The wedge, toppings and dressing are served to you on a plate. You pick up your salad knife and fork and chop the lettuce, toss it the in dressing and the rest of the ingredients. It takes time to chop the lettuce, which is not a problem if you are at a fancy restaurant and have the time for it. But if you are at home or packing this wedge salad for lunch, chopping it is quite time saving and convenient.
So this Chopped Wedge Salad Recipe is the more convenient version of a popular classic.
- Lettuce – iceberg (low in calories, high water content, about 96%), perfect to pair with the creamy and flavorful blue cheese dressing and crunchy bacon. Romaine or mixed greens can be used instead.
- Chopped cherry tomatoes
- Crumbled blue cheese
- Chopped onions (optional, I used purple onion)
- Crumbled or chopped cooked bacon
- Parsley (optional)
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Salt and pepper
- Blue cheese
- Vinegar or lemon juice
The good thing is that this easy chopped wedge salad recipe is totally customizable to your taste. You can use different kinds of greens and dressings, to create the perfect chopped salad for yourself.
- Lettuce – using iceberg lettuce is not mandatory! You can use chopped romaine or butter lettuce, or even mixed greens.
- Dressing – I love blue cheese dressing, so I have no issues with it in the recipe. If this dressing is too heavy and thick for you, or you just don’t like it, you can use Ranch or even Balsamic Vinaigrette.
- Bacon – vegan or turkey bacon can be used, if you don’t eat pork. Bacon can be omitted, if you’d like to do so.
- Cheese – not a fan of blue cheese? Try gorgonzola or leave it completely out. Someone asked me of chopped cheddar cheese could be used and the answer is – yes it can!
Wonder if you can make this salad in advance?
The dressing can be made up to 5 days in advance and the vegetables could be prepared up to 24 hours in advance. I don’t recommend combining the salad and the dressing. Just add the blue cheese dressing, when ready to serve.
More salad recipes:
Chopped Wedge Salad
- 1 medium head of iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes — chopped
- 1/4 cup Crumbled blue cheese
- 1/4 cup purple onions — chopped
- 8 sliced bacon — cooked and chopped
- 1 tbsp Parsley — chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 small garlic clove — minced
- 1 tbsp milk
- 2 tbsp lemon juice — or vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- black pepper to taste
In a large bowl place the chopped iceberg, tomatoes, onions, bacon and blue cheese.
Add the dressing and using kitchen tongs try to coat the vegetables, bacon and cheese in dressing.
In a small bowl, mash the blue cheese with sour cream until smooth.
Add remaining ingredients and mix well until combined.
Store in the fridge, until ready to use in the salad.