Cherry Jam Thumbprint Cookies
Cherry Jam Thumbprint Cookies – very popular shortbread cookies – holiday style!
I apologize for the cookie overload lately!
I’m not sure if these can be called holiday cookies, but they definitely are my favorite cookies. Filled with jam or curd.
So easy to make if you follow my recommendations. They could be made in advance and then baked for an event. I don’t usually add the drizzle to thumbprint cookies, but it does make them look even more festive.
This is a basic shortbread cookie recipe without leavening agent like baking soda and baking powder.
This is important, so the cookies don’t spread. I also like to chill the dough after shaping the cookies for at least 2 hours or overnight. After baking these cookies, it is important that you reshape the indentation for the filling while they are still hot.
You can fill the cookies with a jam of your choice. You can use lemon curd, too. I personally prefer pairing these sweet shortbread cookies with tart jam like cherry. It is a great combination, perfect for the holidays!
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
- For the cookies:
- 1 cup butter at room temperature
- ¾ cups sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups +2 tbsp all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 1 8oz jar cherry jam
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup (120g) confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons (15-30ml) cream or milk (you can also use water)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment beat butter on high until creamy (2 minutes). Add sugar and vanilla extracts. Beat on medium until combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl if needed.
- Add flour and beat on low, until it is slowly incorporated and dough is formed. Wrap dough with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.
- Take out of the fridge and let dough soften just a little for 5-10 minutes. Scrape about 1 tbsp of cookie dough and roll into balls. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (silpat ) and place balls on it, leaving about 2 inches in between. Using your thumb (or a ½ tsp measuring spoon) make and indentation. Chill cookies for at least 30 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F (177 C). Bake cookies for 14-15 minutes, until very lightly browned. If for some reason the thumbprint indentations have puffed up, very carefully press with the back of a measuring spoon (or a similar object) to re-shape it. Let cookies cool on baking sheet for 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and let them cool completely.
- Fill each cookie with about 1 tsp cherry jam.
- Prepare the glaze by whisking powdered sugar and milk together until smooth. Add more milk or sugar to get to the desired consistency. Drizzle over cookies.
- Keep in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.