Tahini Cookies Recipe (With Chocolate Chunks)
Tahini Cookies Recipe – easy to make, chewy and flavorful cookies, perfect for a snack or dessert. Gluten, dairy and sugar-free option available.
What is tahini?
It is a Middle Eastern paste made from hulled and toasted ground sesame seeds. It is used as a condiment and in baking, but its most popular use is in hummus.
Tahini is rich in fiber, protein, copper, phosphorus, and selenium. One tablespoon has 90 calories and 3 grams of protein.
Have you ever tried tahini cookies? They are soft, but chewy, super flavorful and delicious. With their earthy flavor, they remind me of peanut butter cookies, but they have a nice crunch and chewiness. No resting and freezing time required.
If you have a jar of tahini in your pantry, make sure you try this recipe. I also have a foolproof Homemade Tahini Recipe, that allows you to make tahini paste for a fraction of the price at the store.
I love a good chocolate chip (chunk) cookie, so this is why I added dark chocolate chunks to these. You can leave them out and substitute with chopped nuts or dried fruit of your choice.
These cookies could be made year round, but are perfect for the upcoming holidays.
How to Make These Tahini Cookies?
All you need are some basic ingredients like flour (I used oat flour), tahini, sugar (or low carb sweetener), dairy-free milk, baking soda (and or baking powder), vanilla extract, salt and chocolate chips (or just chopped chocolate). Made with gluten-free flour, with a sugar-free option, no eggs or dairy, these cookies are on the healthier side and taste amazing!
- Flour – this recipe works with all-purpose, gluten-free, oat or spelt flour. Depending on the type of flour used, you may need to adjust the amount of non dairy milk in the recipe. Use less milk with all purpose flour. The texture of the cookies will be different, depending on the type of flour used.
- Tahini paste (homemade or store bought), stirred well
- Baking soda
- Baking powder (optional), I like to use a combination of baking soda and baking powder, when using gluten free flours in cookie recipes
- Vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate chips or chunks
- Non dairy milk (dairy milk will work, too)
- Brown sugar or low carb brown sweetener. You can use only brown sweetener for chewier cookies and a combination of brown and white “sugar” for softer cookies.
- Optional: chopped nuts of your choice
- Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
- In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sweetener.
- Add the vanilla and milk. Stir to combine. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
- Roll out 10 balls from the dough. Place on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes. Let cookies cool down for 20 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Store these cookies in an air tight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
More cookie recipes:
- Chewy Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- These Olive Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies from Perchance To Cook are chewy, soft, melt-in-your mouth dairy-free cookies made with olive oil instead of butter.
- Chocolate Spritz Cookies
- Low Carb Sugar Cookies
Tahini Cookies (+ Chocolate Chips/Chunks)
- 1 cup - Oat — gluten-free or spelt flour (all purpose can be used)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or low-carb “brown” sweetener
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup tahini — stirred (could be homemade)
- 3-4 tbsp non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips or chopped chocolate — optional
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts of your choice — optional
Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
In a bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sweetener.
Add the vanilla and milk. Stir to combine. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes.
Roll out 10 balls from the dough. Place on a cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper.
Bake for 9-10 minutes. Let cookies cool down for 20 minutes on the cookie sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Store in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 133, Fat: 6g, Saturated Fat: 2g, Trans Fat: 0.01g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Monounsaturated Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 1mg, Sodium: 81mg, Potassium: 86mg, Carbohydrates: 19g, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 15g, Protein: 2g, Vitamin A: 86%, Vitamin C: 1%, Calcium: 48%, Iron: 1%