Tiramisu Ice Cream
Tiramisu Ice Cream – creamy, coffee flavored frozen dessert to enjoy on its own or add it on top of brownies, crepes or cookies.
How was your weekend? Mine was too short, of course!
But weather this weekend was nice enough, just perfect for some indulgent Tiramisu Ice Cream.
As I mentioned before, I made this ice cream to accompany my sweet and rich Tiramisu Brownie.
I like things to match – matching clothes, design elements and foods, that’s why my tiramisu brownie goes along with tiramisu ice cream.
Of course chocolate of vanilla will work great as well.
This is a rich, smooth, homemade custard based ice cream.
I used my ice cream machine to freeze it and then placed it in the freezer to harden more.
Since Tiramisu is my favorite dessert and my husband absolutely loves ice cream, I decided to combine these two and make Tiramisu ice cream.
I love the creaminess and flavor that Mascarpone cheese brings to this Italian dessert, so I decided to use it in the ice cream.
I absolutely did not want to compromise the taste of it, but knew I might get in trouble by freezing Mascarpone cheese.
Often times when frozen and then thawed, soft cheeses like Mascarpone, change in texture.
And you know, I wanted the creamiest, fluffiest texture for this ice cream, so I took the risk.
I did not notice amy changes in the texture if the ice cream, but this might happen to you. The texture was perfect, right off the ice cream machine.
Then I covered and let the ice cream freeze for 2 more hours.
After that we ate it right away, since is was not a big batch, just around 1 quart or less.
But if the ice cream gets soft after the initial freezing and you freeze it again, you might get change in texture. I thought I’ll warn you just in case you experience a similar issue.
I love custard based ice cream, but of course these take some more time to make, since you warm up the ingredients, to cook the egg yolks and then let the custard cool completely.
Coffee, Mascarpone, custard – sounds like a great combination, right?
I hope you get to make it and of course like it.
Thanks for reading CookingLSL! To stay up on what’s going on in my kitchen, you can follow me on: Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Google+ and sign up for e-mail updates, to receive more recipes and a copy of my FREE e-cookbook 15+ Most Popular Recipes On CookingLSL.
Tiramisu Ice Cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup Mascarpone at room temperature
- 1 tsp (instant espresso powder or granules)
- 1/4 cup (one shot) espresso coffee
- 1/2 tsp Kahlua or coffee liqueur of your choice
- In a saucepan, combine milk and cream and turn on the heat to medium-low. Heat milk until it is simmering.
- In a deep bowl, whisk together egg yolks and sugar, until pale and frothy. Add mascarpone cheese and mix until combined. (Use a wooden spoon or spatula, don't beat mascarpone with electric mixer).
- Add 1/2 cup hot milk to the egg yolk - mascarpone mixture and whisk to combine. Pour mixture back in the pan with hot milk and mix to combine. Cook for 5-8 minutes on medium heat, stirring constantly, until custard it thick and covers the back of the spoon with a thin film.
- Pour mixture to a bowl and let is cool completely. Use an ice bath to speed up the process, or you can leave it in the fridge over night.
- Before you add mixture to your ice cream machine, add vanilla, coffee powder, espresso and coffee liqueur to it.
- Following the manufacturer's instructions for your ice cream maker, freeze until it resembles soft serve ice cream. Transfer to a 9"x13" pan, lined with parchment paper, cover and freeze until firm.
- Serve and enjoy!
I used a Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker with capacity 1 -1 1/2 quarts.
Since this is a custard based ice cream with Mascarpone cheese in it, the texture might change a little, after the initial freeze, because the texture of Mascarpone changes.
Nutrition InformationCalories: 428, Fat: 35g, Saturated Fat: 21g, Cholesterol: 193mg, Sodium: 58mg, Potassium: 99mg, Carbohydrates: 21g, Sugar: 19g, Protein: 6g, Vitamin A: 1305%, Vitamin C: 0.2%, Calcium: 136%, Iron: 0.3%
More Tiramisu Recipes:
More Ice Cream: