This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
The Best Avocado Egg Salad – easy and quick to make, low-carb and Keto. Use on your healthy toast, sandwiches or with lettuce.
This is seriously the best avocado egg salad and has been my favorite for a while.
Super easy to make and you have the option to top with your favorite toppings like Everything But Bagel seasoning, Bacon bits or green onions.
The creaminess in this egg salad recipe comes from the egg yolks, mayo and avocado, which are all good fats.
Can you skip the mayonnaise? Of course if you are not a fan of it, you can leave it out and use some more avocado to balance the creaminess. Greek yogurt is a great substitute for an egg salad like this one.
But since Mayonnaise is Keto and I love it in egg salad, I usually use it in the recipe.
This avocado egg salad sandwich has been very popular on my blog and I shared the recipe years back. Now I serve my egg avocado salad on a low-carb, Keto bread bun.
What ingredients do I need to make this avocado salad?
- Dijon mustard
- black pepper
- mayo (optional)
- lemon juice or vinegar
- green onions
How to boil eggs for egg salad?
You can boil eggs for this avocado and egg salad the way you usually do, but I would like to share my favorite way of making hard boiled eggs I use it for my Deviled Eggs Recipe and also when I make colored Easter eggs, because it doesn’t overcook the egg yolks and it is pretty simple.
Place eggs in a large pot and cover with just enough water to cover them. Add 1/2 tsp salt.
Bring to a boil. When the water starts boiling, cover with a lid. Turn the heat off and remove the pot from the heat.
Let the eggs sit it the pot for 14-16 minutes, then drain. The bigger the eggs, the longer they need to stay in the pot with hot water.
Place in cold water to cool.
Peel the eggs.
Egg and avocado salad toppings:
- chopped bacon
- chopped tomatoes
- sesame seeds
- hot red pepper
- cheese of your choice
- green onions
How to make the best avocado egg salad?
- Mash the egg yolks, then add mayo and mashed avocado. Add the chopped egg whites last, this way you have an extra creamy salad
- Use ripe avocados, generally better for this type of salad
- Use a splash of lemon juice or vinegar, to balance the taste and also prevent the avocados from browning
Can you make avocado egg salad in advance?
Yes, you can make this Keto avocado and egg salad 1 day earlier and tightly cover with plastic wrap. If the top browns, you can remove the browned part and still consume it.
I do not suggest this salad as it is generally best to consume it fresh and avocado doesn’t freeze well.
More Avocado recipes:
The Best Avocado Egg Salad
- 4 hard boiled eggs eggs
- 1 large avocado
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chopped green onion
- Boil the eggs (tips on how to make the perfect hard boiled eggs in the blog post).
- Cut eggs in half and remove the egg yolks.
- Chop egg whites.
- Mash egg yolks in a bowl. Add avocado and mash together with the egg yolks. Add vinegar, salt, pepper, mayo and mustard. stir to combine.
- Add in the chopped egg whites and green onion, stir to combine.
- Season with more salt and pepper, if needed.
Nutrition information is automatically calculated, so should only be used as an approximation.