Pumpkin Phyllo Triangles Recipe
Pumpkin Phyllo Triangles Recipe – flakey filo bites, filled with flavorful mixture of shredded pumpkin, breadcrumbs, nuts, sugar and cinnamon. Perfect for a cup of coffee or tea.
I often use phyllo dough in my cooking and you guys seem to love the recipes. These Phyllo Swirls with Eggs and Feta, Egg, Leek and Feta Phyllo Cups and Spinach and Feta Pie (Spanakopita) are my favorite!
The possibilities when cooking with phyllo dough are endless! From pies, swirls, cups to triangles with all sorts of fillings, both sweet and savory.
I recently made some Baklava Phyllo Cups that I’m very excited to share with you soon.
Today’s Pumpkin Phyllo Triangles Recipe is one of the best recipes using filo dough that I’ve made so far.
My grandmother used to make Pumpkin Phyllo Pie or Swirls when I was a child, but back then this was not one of my favorite things to eat.
I only ate Phyllo Swirls With Eggs and Feta.
I recently asked her about the Pumpkin Phyllo Triangles Recipe and decided to try it!
They are super simple to make and very delicious!
Could be made in advance and they are perfect for a party!
The filling is loaded with the perfect amount of cinnamon and pumpkin.
I used fresh pumpkin in this Pumpkin Phyllo Triangles Recipe, because I had a few small pumpkins lest from Thanksgiving.
I cut, peeled and removed the seeds, then used my food processor to finely shred the pumpkin.
You can use a box grater, but it will take forever to shred, since you need one pound of fresh pumpkin for the recipe.
Pumpkin Phyllo Triangles Recipe Highlights:
- Use good quality phyllo dough sheets, that are on the thinner side, like #5, which is perfect for wrapped appetizers or bites like these triangles.
- Use melted butter to brush the phyllo sheets, it brings out so much flavor than when you use oil.
- For the filling, make sure you use good quality plain breadcrumbs. They will absorb the moisture from the pumpkin and make the filling smooth, while the phyllo shell remains super crunchy and flakey.
- The original recipe calls for using walnuts, but I used a combination of walnuts and pistachios. You can chop them or use your food processor to grind.
- You can use different techniques like making swirls, but I made triangles. (here is a quick video how to make them). Take 2 phyllo sheets, brush with melted butter, cut into 4 stripes along the short side. Put 1- 2 tbsp of filling. Fold one corner of fillo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle onto itself. Brush outside with butter.
- I used sugar for the filling, but xylitol can be substituted.
Store the Pumpkin Phyllo Triangles in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. (You can store them at room temperature for up to 2 days).
Pumpkin Phyllo Triangles Recipe - flakey filo bites, filled with flavorful mixture of shredded pumpkin, breadcrumbs, nuts, sugar and cinnamon. Perfect for a cup of coffee or tea.
- 16 oz Phyllo Dough #5 preferably
- 4 oz butter melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or pis
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lb fresh pumpkin finely shredded
In a large bowl, combine the pumpkin, nuts, sugar, breadcrumbs and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
Preheat oven to 350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.
Open the phyllo dough and place on a working surface. Take 2 sheets out, brush with butter, and cut them into 4 stripes, along the shorter side. Add about 1 tbsps of filling on one end. Fold one corner of fillo diagonally across to opposite edge to form a triangle. Continue to fold triangle onto itself. Brush outside with butter.
Place on the baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden.
Take out of the oven and let them cool to room temperature. Dust with powdered sugar and cinnamon.
You can use one can of pumpkin puree, instead of the fresh pumpkin. Make sure you increase the amount of breadcrumbs to 1 1/4 cups.
For how to fold the triangles, check here.
You May Also Like: