Pumpkin Magic Custard Cake Recipe
Pumpkin Magic Custard Cake Recipe – very easy to make, this cake has fall flavors and custard-like texture.
I’m pretty sure some of you have already heard of magic custard cakes. I’ve made the vanilla and chocolate versions many times. I never thought to post the recipe, because it is so popular already, but now I added pumpkin to it and thought this Pumpkin Spice Magic Custard Cake Recipe was worth sharing.
What is a Magic Custard Cake?
This is a very unique cake, that is made with “runny” cake like batter and results in a dessert with a fudgy cake layer, a custard layer in the middle and a sponge cake layer on top. This magic custard pumpkin cake version does not show the layers the way a regular custard layer magic cake does.
Thanksgiving is just a week away. I’m not going to lie, I’ve been very busy getting ready for the holiday and life has been hectic lately. I don’t have a lot of time making all my recipes from scratch. But this Pumpkin Magic Custard Cake is so worth trying!
Just a few simple ingredients, that you may already have in your pantry.
What ingredients do I need to make a Magic Custard Cake with Pumpkin?
eggs, yolks separated from whites
cream of tartar
pumpkin pie spice
pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling, because it contains sugar and spices)
LIBBY’S® 100% Pure Pumpkin is a staple in my pantry. I use it all the time and make sure I always have it in the house. From sweet to savory dishes, pies, drinks this is a great ingredient to add pumpkin flavor and protein to any dish, especially around the holidays.
How to make Pumpkin Spice Magic Custard Cake?
- Get all ingredients ready, eggs should be at room temperature.
Preheat oven to 325 F.
You need a square pan – either a 8×8 or 9×9 inch square baking dish. Line with parchment paper.
Warm the milk until lukewarm and set aside.
Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
Melt butter and cool at room temperature.
Beat the egg yolks with sugar until pale and frothy. Add in the vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and butter.
Mix in the flour. Add the pumpkin puree with 1/4 cup of the milk.
With the mixer running on low, add in the remaining milk.
Fold in the egg whites with a spatula. Try to incorporate all egg whites into the mixture but a few tiny lumps should be ok.
Pour into the baking dish and bake for 60-65 minutes.
Cool completely. Ideally refrigerate so when you cut the cake it isn’t still a little runny.
Cut into squares and serve.
You can easily serve this Pumpkin Spice Magic Custard Cake Recipe at your Thanksgiving table. It takes a little over 1 hour to make and then you can keep it in the fridge for up to a week. This means you can make it in advance. Impress your guests with this unique dessert- pumpkin spiced cake with a custard and cake layer.
More Pumpkin Recipes:
Feel free to check out more pumpkin recipe at Cooking LSL’s recipe index HERE.
Hope you have a great holiday!
Pumpkin Magic Custard Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups whole milk
- 4 eggs — yolks separated from whites
- Pinch of cream of tartar
- 1 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup pumpkin puree — not pumpkin pie filling
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Line a 8x8 or 9x9 inch square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Warm the milk until lukewarm and set aside.
- Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff peaks form.
- Melt butter and cool at room temperature.
- Beat the egg yolks with sugar until pale and frothy. Add in the vanilla, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and butter.
- Mix in the flour. Add the pumpkin puree with 1/4 cup of the milk.
- With the mixer running on low, add in the remaining milk.
- Fold in the egg whites with a spatula.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for 60-65 minutes.
- Cool completely. Ideally refrigerate so when you cut the cake it isn’t still a little runny.
- Cut into squares and serve.