This post may contain affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Pan Fried Salmon Trout filets – a quick and simple way to prepare skin on salmon trout on the stove top in under 10 minutes. A healthy and delicious lunch or dinner. Serve with salad, vegetables or potatoes.
Pan Fried Salmon Trout
Why make it on the stove top? Because this type of fish is very easy to cook and takes just a few minutes. Perfect for a quick and healthy fish meal, paired with salad or vegetables.
Difference between salmon and trout
The main difference between the two is that Trout is a freshwater fish, and Salmon is a saltwater fish.
Salmon usually has a higher fat content than trout and is almost always larger in size.
Switching trout for salmon in recipes is possible most of the time and you will love the final result.
Salmon trout has milder, lighter taste and is usually cheaper at the store.
How long should you cook salmon trout for on the stove top and what should be the internal temperature?
Heat oil in a skillet on high heat for 5 minutes, then reduce heat to medium.
Add the salmon skin side up and cook for 4-5 minutes, then flip and cook for at least 1 or 2-3 more minutes.
The internal temperature of the trout should be 145 F, when a thermometer is inserted into the thickest part of the fillet.
Cooking time may vary, depending on the size and thickness of the fillets, type of pan, type of stove top and the type of cooking oil used.
How to make salmon trout in a pan on the stove top:
This salmon trout is made in a cast iron skillet on the stove top with minimal ingredients and 2 minutes of prep work. It cooks fast and tastes amazing right after it is cooked. Season with just salt and a little black pepper or use your favorite seasonings;
- Salmon trout with the skin on, cut into filets
- Black pepper
- Cooking oil – canola, vegetable, avocado or Grapeseed oil
- Lemon juice
- Salt and Pepper
- Lemon wedges or just lemon juice
- Fresh herbs (optional) – thyme, parsley, chives or dill
Season the salmon trout filets with salt and black pepper on both sides.
Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the seasoned filets, skin side up. Cook for 4-5 minutes.
Turn and cook for 1-2 more minutes. The fish should not be sticking to the pan.
Cooking time may vary, depending on the size, shape and thickness of the filets.
Transfer to a plate.
Reduce the heat too low.
Add butter , lemon juice and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to prevent the garlic from burning.
Season with salt and pepper.
Pour the sauce over the filets or serve it on the side.
Serve these salmon trout filets with chopped parsley and cherry tomatoes.
What to serve with?
- Iceberg Lettuce Salad
- Easy Purple Cabbage Salad
- Roasted Red Potatoes With Chipotle Mayo
- Easy Baked Corn On The Cob
More salmon recipes:
Pan Fried Salmon Trout (or Salmon)
- 4 6 oz salmon trout filets, skin on (salmon filets can be substituted)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp grape seed oil
- Sauce, optional:
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For serving/garnishing, optional:
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Lemon wedges
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Season the salmon trout filets with salt and black pepper on both sides.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the seasoned filets, skin side up. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn and cook for 1-2 more minutes. The fish should not be sticking to the pan.
- Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce the heat too low.
- Add butter , lemon juice and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring to prevent the garlic from burning.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce over the filets or serve it on the side.
- Serve these salmon trout filets with chopped parsley and cherry tomatoes.