The Best Baked Steelhead Trout Recipe
The Best Baked Steelhead Trout Recipe – bake a whole salmon trout fillet in the oven in foil, seasoned with garlic, salt, pepper and paprika. Perfectly cooked and tender, with a crispy top, achieved from broiling on top for a few minutes. Low carb and Keto friendly.
Festive and delicious meal. The same recipe could be used for salmon or cod fish.
This salmon recipe is perfect for a gathering, the Holidays or just a family night at home.
I’m a huge fan of salmon, but lately I’ve been making steelhead trout more often.
What is the difference between steelhead trout and salmon?
Steelhead trout is ocean trout that migrates upstream just like its cousin—actual salmon.
Salmon fillets are thicker, bigger and usually fattier. They take longer time to cook. Steelhead trout has a milder, lighter taste, thinner fillets and cooks faster.
Difference between steelhead trout and rainbow trout.
The fresh water analogue to steelhead trout is rainbow trout. It’s meat is white in color, unlike the light orange/pink Steelhead trout.
Atlantic salmon is pretty much only farm raised (with a few exceptions), artificially colored, and available year-round. There is almost no wild Atlantic salmon left.
Rainbow trout and steelhead are the same species, but they have different lifestyles.
Steelhead are anadromous—meaning they spend part of their lives in the sea before going to rivers to breed—while rainbow trout spend their lives mostly or entirely in freshwater.
Adult Rainbow and Steelhead trout range in size.
How to bake a whole Steelhead trout fillet
We are baking a skin on Steelhead trout fillet. With the skin on, the fish fillet stays whole, does not burn or dry out on the bottom and it is easier to serve.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. (You can bake the fish at higher temperature 400-425 F. Keep in mind that cooking time will vary.)
- Melt butter and add the garlic to it. Add the salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Place a large piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Place the salmon on the foil. Pour the butter on top and spread evenly. Wrap in the foil.
- Bake at 375 F for 18-20 minutes. (Cooking time will vary, depending on the size and thickness of the fillet.)
- Uncover and broil for 2-3 minutes at 400-425 F, until the top of the fish is golden.
- Cut into pieces and serve (preferably without the skin).
- Preheat an outdoor grill (either gas, electric or charcoal) to medium heat.
- Place the whole trout (salmon) fillet on a piece of aluminum foil. Brush with garlic butter (melted butter + pressed garlic cloves). Season with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Wrap in foil.
- Grill on medium heat for 15 minutes, until fully cooked, but still tender.
- Serve with chopped fresh herbs and lemon slices.
Seasoning for salmon trout
Just salt and black pepper will work well. I also added fresh garlic and a little bit of paprika and cayenne. You can add some finely chopped shallots or onions (or even onion powder).
Topping the baked fish with chopped fresh dill and parsley is optional, but recommended. Fresh lemon slices will be a great addition.
How long to bake steelhead trout in the oven for?
Bake for 15-20 minutes in the oven at 375 F. Broil for 3 minutes (400-425 F), after you remove the foil on top to get the fish to a nice golden color.
What to serve the best baked steelhead trout with?
When I cook fish, I often serve it with a salad. This cucumber dill salad is my all time favorite. Easy to make and low calorie. Roasted potatoes or Brussel sprouts are also great options. Healthy quinoa salad or sweet potatoes pair very well with this roasted steelhead trout.
More fish recipes:
Since fish cooks relatively quickly and makes a great, light and healthy meal, here are some simple ways to add fish to your weekly meal plan.
- Pan seared salmon – ready in under 30 minutes, simple and delicious sheet pan dinner that could be paired with a salad or roasted veggies for the perfect effortless nutritious meal.
- Baked Fish from The Endless Meal, ready in 20 minutes. Cooked lemon garlic butter sauce until flaky and tender.
- One pan garlic dill lemon baked salmon – ready in 15 minutes, perfect for busy families. Serve it with your favorite side.
- The best hot smoked salmon recipe – brined, then dry-rubbed and smoked sockeye salmon, that tastes amazing.
Baked Salmon Trout
- 2 lb salmon trout
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- 3 garlic cloves — minced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp paprika or Cayenne pepper — hot!
- Lemon slices — chopped parsley and dill
Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C).
In a small bowl combine the butter, salt, pepper, garlic and paprika.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Place the fish skin side down.
Pour the butter mixture over the fish, make sure the top is covered with it. Wrap with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover the fish and broil (at 400 F) for 3-5 minutes, until the fish turns golden on top and looks “baked”, not steamed. Serve immediately.
Yum! That looks delicious!
Fantastic! very healthy to our body it give more energy.
The Fish was very tender and delicious! We’ve never make Steelhead at home. Highly recommend both the fish and this recipe.